👉 Check out the New D2L Adventure Group to connect with engaging and accessible resources for best practices to empower K12 Members at every point on their educational adventures ⛰️

"Invisible" Forum

Chelsey.Y.865
Chelsey.Y.865 Posts: 75 🌱
edited November 2023 in K-12

I have a Discussion Forum in my courses that is not showing up for students. Students can see the html page I have with instructions, but there isn't anything following it. Just to clarify, it is set to "visible" on my end.

My view:

Student's view:

Any idea on how to make this forum visible for students? Thanks :)

Tagged:

Answers

• Hi Yeslech,

Thank you for asking the question. I was wondering what start and end date did you add?

• Chelsey.Y.865

@Furkan.K.312 Do I have to have a start and end date? I wanted it to be indefinitely available since students work at their own pace. To test it, I added a start date of April 30th and an arbitrary end date in 2028, but that still hasn't made the forum show up for the student.

• Heba.A.271
    Heba.A.271 Posts: 85

Hi Yeslech,

Thank you for reaching Brightspace community!

Is it impacting all discussions or only this discussion topic ?

Have you checked if there is any release condition for the discussion topic ?

• Chelsey.Y.865

@Heba.A.271 My wish is to have a discussion forum where students can start a new topic and reply to other topics. To be honest, I don't know if I've set the discussion forum up correctly in the first place…

There are no release conditions.

• Heba.A.271

Hi Yeslech,

I am attaching the resource for creating and managing Discussions. Hope this would help you to check your discussion setting.

Meanwhile if all students are not seeing all discussion please make sure to validate their permissions.

Hope this would help!

Regards,

Heba

• Chelsey.Y.865

@Heba.A.271 and others, I had done everything as per the above resource page. I still want to know do I have tohave a start and end date? I want it to be indefinitely available since students work at their own pace.

I don't have/want any release conditions and I am unclear on the Change Forum section. I don't want to create separate forums. I just want one forum where any one can start a new topic.

Can you clarify how the permissions work? I don't know how to access them or change them. By default I want all students to be able to view, reply, and create new posts.

Thanks,

Chelsey

• Heba.A.271

Hi Chelsey,

Thank you for the update!

Start and end date are not mandatory and you can create discussion with no start and end date and even with no release condition.

In case the students are not able to access discussion forums across the LMS then the Insitiution admin would need to validate their permission to access and this can be through the :

Admin tool> Roles and Permissions> select the needed role ( Student) > Filter by tool and grant students the permission to view/ post discussions.

Hope this helps !

Regards,

• Chelsey.Y.865

It turns out that although my forum was set to "visible" the discussion I started was hidden (by default?). I didn't realize I had to make things visible in two different places.

• Heba.A.271

Thank you for the update Chelsey!

Associated topics with the Forum would need also to visible for the students to see them.

Glad it worked out!

Stay Safe !

• I would like to add that I find this feature of D2L a real hassle: if I have placed a Db in a content unit and I have set it to visible, I should not also have to go into 'Discussions' and find it actually 'hidden' and undo that. This is an issue of duplication that Brightspace ought to resolve.
  • Chelsey.Y.865

Hi @Mary Beth.L.411 Yes! Exactly…

I would recommend you sign up for the Brightspace Product Idea Exchange. You can search through other ideas and upvote them or add your own if an idea has not yet been suggested.

Here's one that sounds similar to what we're talking about: https://desire2learn.brightidea.com/ideas/D2146