👉 Check out the New D2L Adventure Group to connect with engaging and accessible resources for best practices to empower K12 Members at every point on their educational adventures ⛰️

What does importing a CSV file with grades into D2L look like?

Options
Jeff.Y.418
Jeff.Y.418 Posts: 7 🌱
edited June 2023 in K-12

We are moving to D2L from Moodle midway through our school year (we are a 12 month program). I am playing with importing a CSV of grades from the course in Moodle into the same course in D2L. I continually get the error below. I have NO idea what that error might even be. Haha. Has this type of import been done successfully? If so, is there a sample available? The sample CSV provided is for all intents and purposes useless. Thanks for considering my request for support.

Answers

• Paul.P.783
    Paul.P.783 Posts: 12
    Options

Hello @Jeff.Y.418,

A good resource for setting up your grade book can be found here

Without specific details on the content of the CSV file you are trying to import it's difficult to suggest the next steps.

Some suggestions:

Use the Grades sample file link, download it, add some basic data, and import it into a test course.
    Did it work as expected?
    What are the differences between your CSV and the sample CSV file?
    What fields are missing/absent?

If comparisons don't offer some solutions, feel free to open a Support Case with the attached file, and the team can take a look.

I hope this helps!

• Andrea.B.236
    Andrea.B.236 Posts: 181 admin
    Options

Hi @Jeff.Y.418 ,

Thank you for reaching out to the Brightspace Community.

Welcome to Brightspace, we're happy to have you! We have a few guides for Importing Grades and using the Grades Tool.

We have a video on Entering Grades with the Grades Tool. This video is time-stamped, the second section contains information specifically about importing.

We also have information on Troubleshooting Course Conversion, as well as an article on Course Conversion Support.

Please feel welcome to reach out again with any further questions, too!

• Steve.B.446
    Steve.B.446 Posts: 69
    Options

The likelihood is that your column headers are in the wrong format or you are missing the # characters that are required in certain places.

I would recommend exporting the Brightspace gradebook to CSV, add a new worksheet and paste in the Moodle export. Then using Excel's Vlookup function to merge the correct score for each student onto that file from your Moodle sheet, save the first sheet to CSV and and try uploading again.

• Jeff.Y.418
    Jeff.Y.418 Posts: 7 🌱
    Options

Ah, Brilliant! Thanks, Steve! I will give this a go. Cheers!