HT see Instructor Post if "Must Post First" is set in Discussions

Options
Online.I.200
Online.I.200 Posts: 1 🔍
edited March 2023 in Higher Ed / Postsecondary

We have several of our Discussion Forums set so that “Users must start a thread before they can read and reply to other threads.” However, we also ask instructors to write a “First Post” in the Discussion Forum that opens the door to the topic and shares tips for students.

We would like students to be able to see only their instructor's “First Post” before they themselves post in the Discussion Forum. Is there a setting in D2L that allows students to see posts from a specific user (the instructor) before posting, but then all posts become visible after posting?

Thank you for your help.

Tagged:

Answers

• Janet.W.813
    Options

There is not a way to set the permission based on a specific users post. I would suggest the instructor put the comments they would write in that first post (a sample post) in the Description area of the Dicussion Topic. All students would be able to see this before posting.

Let me know if that will work.

Thanks!

• Melissa.P.414
    Melissa.P.414 Posts: 2 🔍
    Options
    Would it be possible to make a pinned post that the instructor posts visible to students before their initial post? Our institution follows a master course model where instructors are not allowed to add or revise the discussion topic.
  • Janet.W.813
    Janet.W.813 Posts: 56
    Options

Unfortunately, pinning a post is only visible for the user who does the pinning. In other words, it would not be pinned for other users.

Let me know if that makes sense.