👉 Check out the New D2L Adventure Group to connect with engaging and accessible resources for best practices to empower K12 Members at every point on their educational adventures ⛰️

Displaying All Questions and Answers

Options
Chelsey.Y.865
Chelsey.Y.865 Posts: 75 🌱
edited May 2023 in K-12

I'm wondering if I give two attempts for a quiz and select “display all questions and answers”, will it only reveal those answers after the SECOND attempt?

I don't want students to receive the answers before their second attempt obviously :)

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Janet.W.813
    Janet.W.813 Posts: 56
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thank you for the additional information.

I just tested and that is exactly what happens if you choose all questions with correct answers, it shows the learner all of the questions and their correct answers after the first attempt.

Hope that helps!

• Janet.W.813
    Answer ✓
    Options

To delete your quiz attempts, go to Quizzes > Grade > Check the box next to the attempt you want to remove and click Reset at the top of the list. This will delete the attempt.

Answers

• Janet.W.813
    Options

Hi,

Just curious, where do you see the option to “display all questions and answers”? The only option I see under the Quiz Attempts area is to Retake Incorrect Questions Only [screenshot below]. Can you provide additional information and I will attempt to answer. Thanks!

• Chelsey.Y.865
    Options

This is in Evaluation and Feedback:

• Chelsey.Y.865
    Options

Hi Janet,

Why would it do that? Is there not a way to set it to reveal correct answers after the SECOND attempt? That way they have two legitimate attempts and then find out where they went wrong, if need be, after both attempts.

If they get the correct answers given after their first attempt that's just 100% for everyone… Clearly, I won't be able to let the students know the answers at all. That's disappointing.

Thanks for testing this for me :) I wish the results were different, but I appreciate knowing the answer…

• Janet.W.813
    Options

You can accomplish this using the Customize Quiz Results Displays. That gives you the ability to configure what you want to happen after each attempt.

• Chelsey.Y.865
    Options

Do you know how I can delete my own quiz attempts as a teacher (taking the quizzes as a “student”)?

I had already taken two attempts at this quiz so I had to change the quiz attempts to unlimited so that I could take another attempt. Then it automatically gave me the answers (presumably because it after my second attempt).

I would like to experience what a student would experience on their first and second attempts.

• Jennifer.W.973
    Jennifer.W.973 Posts: 235 🌟
    edited March 2023
    Options

The default view will be shown to students after the first attempt when the results are published (which is immediately if you have the auto-publish box checked). Then an additional view can be added, but it will only go into effect at the date/time you enter. I don't believe there is a way to specify after a second attempt if attempts is set to unlimited. So you'd have to set up the additional view with a date/time after the second attempt is due to make sure that everyone has already completed it.

• Chelsey.Y.865
    Options

I guess this won't work for me since the students at our school work at their own pace. That's a shame…

Can you let me know how to delete my quiz attempts as a teacher?

• Chelsey.Y.865
    Options

Hi Janet,

I went to “Course Admin” and then “Quizzes”. I couldn't find “Grade” at first, but then found it in the drop down menu beside the quiz.

Thanks! This is very helpful :)

• Chelsey.Y.865
    Options

So, is there a way that a student can go back to review the questions and answers after they've taken both attempts?

I'm so disappointed that I can't have the answers revealled AFTER a second attempt. In order for my students to learn from their mistakes they would need to see the correct answers at some point.

• Jennifer.W.973
    Options

Yes, as long as you've set up a view that allows them to see the correct answers, they just go back to Quizzes and click on the Attempt link for each quiz and attempt.

• Chelsey.Y.865
    Options

Please let me know if I've misunderstood, but it seems to me that I can't set up a view that allows them to see the correct answers if I'm giving second attempts or they would see all correct answers before taking the second attempt.

So it seems that means my students will never be allowed to see the correct answers???

• Janet.W.813
    Options

Yes, you can use the instructions in this thread to set up the Additional View under Custom Quiz Results Displays for review purposes.

When you have multiple attempts, you can choose what you want to happen after each attempt. So change the default view to NO - so they can't see anything after the first attempt, and then Add Additional View > Choose second attempt from the menu and say YES and what you want them to see.

Hope that makes sense.

• Chelsey.Y.865
    Options

My understanding from this thread is that the additional view is only after a certain date which doesn't work for students who are working at their own pace.

Please let me know if I've misunderstood this.

Also, it seems that all questions and answers isn't an option for an additional view.

Can you let me know if there is a different way to have all questions and all answers show after a second attempt at a quiz?

• Janet.W.813
    Options

You do not need to have a date set as long as the default view is NO and you identify the specific attempt where you want them to see X. I would suggest setting it up as outlined and doing a test by impersonating a test student role. There are many options within this feature, and I'm confident you can achieve the results you are describing. It has worked correctly for me in testing the scenario you outlined.

• Jennifer.W.973
    Options

Ah, I see the “A specific attempt” option now. I never knew that was an option since it doesn't appear when you have the quiz set to unlimited attempts. It is still requiring me to enter a display date though, for when the additional view comes into effect. Thanks Janet! Yeslech, I tested out these settings and they are working for me.

• Chelsey.Y.865
    Options

Hi Janet,

I don't have those boxes to select. I only have the drop down menu as it shows in my previous screenshot.

Can you let me know what you mean by “as long as the default view is NO”? This is what I currently have:

• Janet.W.813
    Options

Click on Customize Quiz Results Displays to get to the screenshots I have shown.

• Chelsey.Y.865
    Options

Yes, I've gone there, but the issue I was having is I didn't realize you had to click on “All Questions” for the other drop down menu to show up. I was stalled at this point:

Now that I've clicked on All questions, the other drop down menu has opened up for me :)

• Christa.Q.449
    Christa.Q.449 Posts: 1 🌱
    edited March 8
    Options

I have a question concerning the "Additional view comes into effect" rule. The faculty has the rule set "At 1/30/2024 1:05 PM, until 15 minutes have passed after submission". The tests have no start date, but have an end all past the 1/30/2024 date.

For the tests I am looking at when I impersonate the students, they can see attempts with no consideration of the date. All were begun and ended after 1/30/2024 so they should only have been able to see the attempt information according to the rule for 15 minutes…am I understanding this correctly?

• Janet.W.813
    Options

Hi @Christa.Q.449,

That is correct. The date of 1/30/2024 is when this Additional Display becomes active. The quiz Start and End Date settings override this, and only after a user submits the quiz, does the 15 minutes of review take effect.

Let me know if that answers the question.

Janet