Safari 13.1 on desktop not allowing video note recording?

Options
Michelle.Y.118
Michelle.Y.118 Posts: 6 🌱
edited November 2022 in Customer Enablement

I've had three Safari 13.1 desktop users on Macs report that when trying to record a video note, they only have an upload video option. Using Chrome or Firefox work immediately, or give them the pop-up for camera permissions and then work. Two of the users changed the browser settings from mic/camera access from "Ask" to "Allow" for D2L, and this still did not fix the issue. Does anyone have a workaround or any tips for this?

Tagged:

Answers

• [Deleted User]
    Options

Hi Michelle - I haven't been able to find a solution to this either. My kid's school is using Brightspace and in supporting parent's we've run into this issue several times.

The problem stems from the MacOS version of Safari incorrectly handling the video request - from the D2L side there isn't much we can do, here's the official response from D2L Support:

"According to further testing there appears to be an issue with Safari, but more specifically an issue with Flash on Macbooks. There's no specific issue with Chrome on a Mac but Safari appears to default to refusing to use Flash or asking for permission before doing so. We had PRB0057215 opened and was Excluded by our Development Team as It's not a d2l issue, it's a safari issue, we cant fix it the workaround is to use chrome or firefox"

• Michelle.Y.118
    Michelle.Y.118 Posts: 6 🌱
    edited November 2022
    Options

Thank you so much for your reply, Kenneth. I had see the earlier post about uploading videos in Safari, (https://community.brightspace.com/s/question/0D50A000003mvxHSAQ/does-anyone-else-have-an-issue-with-uploaded-videos-not-workingplaying-in-a-safari-browser-on-macos?t=1588786886313) but didn't realize that now includes recording via Safari. I'll let my users know they do indeed have to use our recommendations of Firefox or Chrome.

• Heather.Schneiter86
    Heather.Schneiter86 Posts: 1 🌱
    edited November 2022
    Options

any updates on this post? I have an instructor who is not able to record audio feedback. She is a Mac user and has tried Chrome and Firefox with no luck. Is this a flash issue? Or, is this feature no longer available?

Thank you

• Amy.C.104
    Amy.C.104 Posts: 2 🔍
    Options
    Has there been an update or fix on this issue? I am experiencing this in both Chrome and Safari while using a Mac, and I have even tried installing a Flash Player extension in Chrome (which did not help).