Need to revise scoring on "Matching" questions after the quiz was taken

Options
sicilias@sunyocc.edu
sicilias@sunyocc.edu Posts: 4 🌱
edited December 2022 in Higher Ed / Postsecondary

When my quiz was migrated from Blackboard, I didn't realize that the "matching" style questions were assigned "all or nothing" grading until after my students had taken it.

When I go to "update all attempts" for those questions I don't have the option to change the grading from "all or nothing" to "equally weighted"

Is there any way I can revise that option for those questions and get the quizzes automatically re-graded?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jennifer.W.973
    Jennifer.W.973 Posts: 242 🌟
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Sheila.Sicilia8369 I think you'll need to use "Give to attempts with the following match ___ points" a few times, changing the answers and possibly points each time, i.e. Unicast right but Broadcast & Multicast wrong, Broadcast right and Unicast & Multicast wrong, Multicast right and Unicast & Broadcast wrong.

Answers

• Andrea.B.236
    Andrea.B.236 Posts: 183 admin
    Options

Hi @Sheila.Sicilia8369 ,

Thank you for reaching out to the Brightspace Community!

We have documentation that may be helpful in aiding you to find a solution for your quiz migration. First, we have a breakdown of Quiz Creation on configurations for quizzes. Additionally, we also have documentation on Editing Quizzes with Learner Attempts for what edits you can make after a Quiz has already been taken.

All the best!

• Aasim.Y.704
    Aasim.Y.704 Posts: 129 ⏸️ Inactive
    Options

Hey @Sheila.Sicilia8369,

Thanks for connecting with us here inside the Brightspace Community.

To resolve this issue perform the following:

1. Go to the Quiz Grade > Questions tab.
    2. Select Update Question Scores.
    3. Select your question.
    4. Go through all permutations of your answers and manually set the score for each.

I hope this workflow helps you regrade "matching" question type quiz.

• sicilias@sunyocc.edu
    Options

Below is the screen I get for the above (there are 3 items to match in the question) I'm confused about how to "Go through all permutations of your answers and manually set the score for each" I only see the ability to set one permutation.

I would appreciate any clarification on what I'm missing.

• Stefanie.B.518
    Stefanie.B.518 Posts: 461 admin
    Options

Hi @Sheila.Sicilia8369

This is a great question that you're asking- and I think I've just learned a new thing so I'm very grateful to you!

I think you can try updating the matching scores for questions already answered by trying the following steps

Update question scores for previous attempts on quizzes

You can directly alter learner scores on specific questions in previous attempts on an edited quiz using Update All Attempts.

1. On the course navbar, click Quizzes.
    2. From the context menu of the quiz you have edited, click Grade.
    3. In the Questions tab, select Update all attempts.
    4. Click the quiz question that you want to grade.
    5. Enter grades for all respondents in the appropriate Grading Type field.
    6. Click Save.

I think this is ultimately the change you want to make- but please let me know

best,

Stefanie

• sicilias@sunyocc.edu
    Options

Jennifer -

Thank you! I didn't realize that you can do that over and over for the same question without overwriting all the scores. It's going to be a pain on some of the questions with more matches, but at least it works.

Thank you to EVERYONE who offered ideas!!

-Sheila