full quiz credit for any complete attempt

There doesn't seem to be a way to automatically give full credit for a quiz as long as a learner completes one attempt. Is there a way to do this that I'm not seeing?

Thanks in advance.

Tagged:

Answers

• @John.T.26, that is correct, there isn't an option to just say "Learner completed quiz = full credit". Quizzes always have some value of "points" based on the questions and the only Grade type you can connect it to in Grades would be a numeric grade item.

Best you could do in that case, would be to mark all the questions in your quiz as "Bonus" (yes this will show "Bonus" next to each question to a learner while completing an attempt), and connect it to a numeric Grade item that only is worth 1 point (ensure that "Can exceed" setting is not checked). If you've got the enabled settings on the quiz to "Auto-publish attempt results immediately upon completion" and "Synchronize to grade book on publish", then what should happen is, as long as a learner got 1 of the questions worth at least 1 point correct on the quiz, then the score will be published to Grades which should populate as 1/1. It's not the most seamless solution, but that should technically work…

I hope that helps!

-Johnny
    D2L LAM

• John.T.26
    John.T.26 Posts: 17 🌱

Thanks. I've been warned against implementing Bonus questions.

The feature I suggested is technically able to be developed in the platform, no?

• John.T.26

Thanks. I thought about the custom weights 100% solution but this is not optimal because we want students to have feedback about the ones they got wrong. We can't leave them with the idea that wrong answers are correct. I suppose we could write feedback for each question indicating this, but I expect that if they get credit for an answer, they won't read the feedback.

• Jennifer.W.973
    Jennifer.W.973 Posts: 326 🎆

@John.T.26 I can see the issue with not wanting wrong answers to be marked as correct. Could you add a mandatory MC question that only has one answer choice that is more of an honor code question at the beginning of the quiz? That way they all have to select that one choice and they will get credit. Something like:

• John.T.26

I think we're leaving the realm of usefulness. I can only speak for myself, of course, but two things are simulaneously true: (1) I love my students and am very proud of many of them, (2) a substantial proportion of my students will check that box and then violate it. Because of (1), I try not to put too many things like (2) in front of them. They are under a lot of pressure to get good grades and many of them lose their perspective and make bad decisions.