Auto text on Brightspace?

Hello,

I'm looking for ways in which the assessment process can be more efficient for faculty and I'm wondering if there's an auto text feature (like you find in Microsoft word) that allows you to save snippets of feedback that are commonly used and can easily be edited to personalize the feedback.

Thanks,

Yildiz

Answers

• Hello Yildiz,

Thank you for your question!

Brightspace does offer a feature that can help make the assessment process more efficient for faculty when providing feedback. While it doesn't have a direct "auto text" feature like in Microsoft Word, there are two features in Brightspace that can assist with streamlining feedback:

1. Feedback Rubrics:

If your assessments use rubrics, you can set up rubrics that allow for quick, consistent feedback. Each rubric level can include pre-written descriptions or feedback. Once a student is assessed against the rubric, the instructor simply selects the appropriate level, and the predefined feedback is added automatically. This provides a streamlined way to deliver consistent feedback across multiple students.

2. Quick Eval and Copy-Paste Feedback:

For instructors who frequently use the same feedback comments, they can take advantage of Quick Eval and the ability to copy-paste text from saved resources. Instructors can save commonly used feedback in a document or note-taking app, then copy and paste the snippets into the Brightspace feedback box. This method still allows for easy personalization by editing the pasted text. It’s not quite as automatic as Word’s auto text, but it’s a practical workaround for repetitive comments.

3. Annotations and Comment Library (with Assignments):

Brightspace Assignments also allow for inline feedback annotations. You can annotate directly on students' submissions, and if you use the Annotations Tool frequently, it saves recently used comments, allowing you to reuse them easily. This can be handy if you frequently provide the same comments on written assignments or papers.

While Brightspace doesn't have an exact "auto text" feature like Word, these options can help faculty save time and streamline their feedback process.

Let me know if you'd like further details on how to set up these features!

Best regards,
    Miguel