Brightspace activity evaluation pages not loading properly in new tabs

For the sake of speed and efficiency while grading, I would like to be able to open multiple "Activity Evaluation" pages in separate tabs. When I try to do this, however, the pages do not load properly. Here is an example what an improperly loaded page looks like:

The problem seems to occur only when the page is not visible while loading. If I refresh the improperly loaded page while the tab is active and in focus, it loads properly.

Comparing the browser console log while the tab is active vs. inactive, I see a lot of these when the page loads while not visible:

Uncaught (in promise) Error: token was not provided to controller

Is this intended behavior? If not, is there anything I can do to help ensure that pages will load properly? If not, can someone please explain exactly what is causing this behavior so I can find a solution on my own?

Tagged:

Answers

• Hi Andre.M,

This behaviour appears to be by design in that you cannot use the CTRL or SHIFT click while selecting the Go to Evaluation link in Submissions and the submission selected open in a new tab (as you can do on a link in a typical web page). Obviously you can get around this the long way by duplicating the submissions tab multiple time, and selecting each successive Go to Evaluation link for each learner, I understand its not ideal, but does save some rendering time.

However the idea to open submissions in new tabs is a good one and you should consider making a submission into the Product Idea Exchange (3rd Party Tool) for review and consideration.

Hope this helps!

• Andre.M.416
    Andre.M.416 Posts: 23 🌱

Thanks for the response, but I think you might have misunderstood the issue, @Chris.S.534 (though the fact that CTRL+CLICKing doesn't work on individual learners is another longtime frustration). I've tried the technique you suggested and it results in the same problem.

The issue is that "Activity Evaluation" pages (the pages where an instructor can review a submission, fill out a rubric, add feedback comments, etc.) do not load properly unless they are visible. If I CTRL+CLICK a link under "New Submissions" in the "Assignments" tab, the "Activity Evaluation" page opens in a new page, but it resembles my first screenshot and needs to be refreshed before I can do anything.

If I do as you suggested (duplicating the submissions tab multiple time, and selecting each successive Go to Evaluation link for each learner) the same thing happens if I move quickly. The pages open but if I move onto the next tab before they're done, they don't load completely. This means that I then need to go back through each tab, hit refresh, and wait for it to load while I'm looking at it.

I imagine this is due to some kind of lazy loading where the browser waits until a page or element is visible before loading it. Is there any way to avoid this behavior? If not, can someone please tell me what exactly is causing it to happen? If there's no in-house solution, I'd like to find a browser plugin or setting that will pretend a page is visible while loading in the background. Knowing the nature of the cause will make this search much easier.

• Andre.M.416

I would love to find an answer to this. Should I post my question in a different forum?

• Andre.M.416

I'm not sure if this thread had anything to do with it, but the problem seems to be fixed now. Thanks.