Downloading all submissions for an assignment - how to change the order in the .zip file?

Brightspace shows the students in alphabetical order by last name - great!

However, when it bundles up all the submissions into one .zip file, it's all in order by student ID number, so it's all over the place.

Any way to change the order in the .zip files? Had become accustomed to the order in the file matching the order online to help line things up and make it more efficient for marking.

Tagged:

Answers

• Hello - there is a way to change them up a little using d2l.Tools.Dropbox.FilenameFormatUser - You can use the following replace strings in the file name:

Accepted Replace Strings: {filename}, {username}, {firstName}, {lastName}, {OrgDefinedId}, {submissionDate}

You can use a backslash to create sub-directories

The use of a backslash (\) will allow subdirectories to be created within the zip.

However, there will always be an ID at the beginning of the file name so that it can be matched up to the correct submission when uploaded to feedback.

An ID will be added to all items downloaded so that upon re-upload, they can be identified and distributed appropriately.

• Bart.O.6611
    Bart.O.6611 Posts: 14 🌱

Great! Now where do I find the

d2l.Tools.Dropbox.FilenameFormatUser

magic gizmo? I assume that needs to be done for each course/instance of mine, right?

I was mostly surprised to see the format in a different order than what's on the screen when asking to download all. No problem requiring the ID number, but if I can move that back somewhere and get lastname/firstname to lead off (to match the order I see when grading) that would be great.

• Bart.O.6611

Any help on where I can find the information you were suggesting to change? Thanks.

• Bart.O.6611

Anyone have an answer as to where a normal user of BS can make the changes suggested by Megan.S.88 above?

• Jennifer.W.973
    Jennifer.W.973 Posts: 357 🎆

@Bart.O.6611 That's a configuration variable that only D2L admins can change. Regular instructors/users wouldn't have that option.

• Bart.O.6611

OK, thanks for the clarification.

So there's no way for an instructor to change the order when downloading all submissions for an assignment?

Like I said, it just seems odd that the presentation online (alphabetical by last name) is a different order than when downloading all submissions… makes it far less useful - in my case at least.