LaTeX equation editor

I am involved in building a Math site and the academic is using the LaTeX equation editor in Word. We can copy these equations over okay to Brightspace using the inbuilt LaTeX equation editor, but there are issues with how it presents both in edit view and student view.

The key issues are:

1. The equations are all different in size - some are enormous, some are small, yet all copied over looking the same from Word.
  2. Another issue is that the equation disappears altogether in call out boxes sometimes, or extends outside the callout box border.
  3. A third issue is there there is a scroll bar yet when first inserted it is on one line - we do not want a scroll bar (I think this may be something about coding because this has happened for some other external elements like H5P occasionally)
  4. You cannot have anything beside the equation so if you are having questions, the number 1. is on one line and the equation goes on the next. The only solution here seems like a table.

To cut my long story short, we are looking for a foolproof efficient way to insert these equations (which will become more complex as subject progresses) into Brightspace and they have a consistent view, size and look for academics' and students' alike. We don't want to build from scratch because the academic is taking the time to build in the key document.

Thank you for your help (expertise and patience), SueS

Answers

• Hi Sue!

There may be a few things that are happening here; it is hard to assess without going into your content. The first thing I'd like you to try is to make sure that if you are copying and pasting from word, make sure that you are pasting as plain text - word frequently adds invisible formatting in the code when it is pasted into an HTML environment. Next, I highly recommend using the Brightspace tools to insert equations and math functions; this will ensure that no extra code is being inserted and should help with the formatting anf ensuring that your formulas do not disappear. You may also want to get your LMS admin to ensure the configs here are set properly to ensure that your org has full access to the various formula tools.

I hope this is helpful!

• Sue.S.4
    Sue.S.4 Posts: 50 🌱

Thank you for your advice here. The equations are prepared in LaTex ready to be put into Brightspace. I've been using the LaTex equation editor, but yesterday afternoon I just used the graphical equation editor and then right clicked and scaled all to 100%. Even new ones were the right size. I could even put into a callout box and other elements that permit equations (so not flip cards or accordians) but click and reveal worked. May be resolved but not 100% sure yet.

• Sue.S.4
    Sue.S.4 Posts: 50 🌱

Hi Jen

I am copying equations over from Word to Brightspace but have ensured they are converted to plain text.

In the edit screen, the equations are still invisible, but we can see them on the page in instructor mode when looking at the entire page.

We are using accordions to display answers. I have discovered that tool when we can align the equals (=) signs so they appear under each other, but the alignment is out of whack. Accordion box 1 is left aligned, Box 2 and 3 may be centre aligned, Box 4 may be left aligned, and another right aligned.

In the edit screen when checking the accordion before inserting, they are all left aligned with = signs under each other.

Any ideas?