Suggestions Sought for Creating a Scavenger Hunt

One of our instructors asked the following:

"I usually have my students complete a scavenger hunt at the start of each term to expose them to the many resources available to them. I'd like to do something similar for the Brightspace course page. Any ideas of how I might use release conditions and intelligent agents to build an interactive activity where they need to use a certain tool or click a certain link to get credit or open the next item on the scavenger hunt?"

I would appreciate any suggestions for creating such an activity.

Thank you!

Answers

• Hi Richard, what a fun idea! Intelligent Agents are my favourite Brightspace tool of all times, and I think there is a lot of potential for a really cool experience for your students. Here are a couple of ideas:

• Create a module called Scavenger hunt, and create individual topics for each of the things you want your learners to do (Create a discussion post, Review course outline topic, Complete a quiz/Survey, etc). You can add a release condition to each topic, that that they only open once the previous requirement has been filled - for example, add a release condition to the "Review course outline topic" that opens up the topic only once your learner has created their discussion post. Note that this might get a bit complex and you do not want to create circular release conditions, so test this out first before you launch.
    • Create multiple intelligent agents, one for each of the areas you want the learners to explore. For example, if you want them to take a quick intro survey, you can create an IA that links them to the Survey you want them to take. You can set a release condition on the IA that it only sends to students that HAVE NOT completed the survey (or discussion post, viewed content, etc), and set it to send daily until the condition is fulfilled. A bonus here is that you can bcc yourself on these emails or view the send reports in the tool to see which users are fulfilling your conditions.

Hope this helps! Would love to hear what you come up with.

• Richard.W.228
    Richard.W.228 Posts: 6 🔍

Hi Brielle,

Thanks for the great tips. I shared them with the instructor. I'll keep you informed on the progress of this activity!

Best,
    Rich