Student uploaded new paper and overwrote my comments and grades... can I get it back??

Options
I just finished grading my student's paper and I had added annotated comments to the paper throughout. At some point today my student uploaded another copy of her paper and because I had the settings turned on to keep the latest submission only, the original paper with all my comments has disappeared. I had saved it as a draft but had not yet published the scores and comments. Is there any way to get the original back??

Answers

• Craig.R.185
    Craig.R.185 Posts: 19
    Options

Hi @Tammy.P.418 . Unfortunately, when the settings are to keep the latest submission, the file and annotations on it are overwritten by the newer submitted version, and I'm not aware of a way to retrieve it. Any feedback or mark you give, though, is separate to the submitted file, whether draft or published, and should still be on the right-hand side of the screen where you enter the score and comments. If you return to evaluate this student, those pieces should still be there, unless you meant that the score was annotated on the file.

• Tammy.P.418
    Tammy.P.418 Posts: 4 🔍
    Options

Thank you! I had typed this comment in panic late last night after 10 hours of grading. The helpdesk at my university told me the same thing this morning. It just seems like a silly setting. On my side, the system blocks me from making any changes to assignment settings after students have submitted work so why on their end does it not do the same thing. If I've made any annotated comments or saved a draft of feedback on the student's work, the system should also block them from adding a file at that point. I know I can adjust the settings to accept all the files or to close the file after the due date but then how do I know which file my student intends to be the final one if it keeps all of them and they submit more than one? I've gone back already this morning and re-read and tried to recall my comments to annotate again. Thanks for your reply!

This question can be closed.

• Steve.B.446
    Steve.B.446 Posts: 68
    Options

I'm sure there used to be a warning which popped up when evaluating before the due date to the effect that the student could resubmit and overwrite the feedback? Has that gone?