When can we expect to see improvements to the FIB question type?

Options

I would like to hear from the Developer community regarding any planned work to address longstanding workflow problems with the FIB quiz question type. I am especially interested in understanding why a solution that appears to have been solved in the Creator + (with Lessons or Practice anyway) has not found its way into the standard BrightSpace LMS platform. This should not be an upgrade. This should be a standard component of the quiz creation platform as it is other LMS. Numerous PIE items requesting this improvement date back to 2013 and are heavily-supported across disciplines.

Tags: UX, User Experience

Tagged:

Answers

• Mike.B.559
    Mike.B.559 Posts: 113
    Options

The following compares the same FIB activity in 3 contexts:

(1) With dropdown from Moodle:

(2) With dropdown from Creator+ (in a "Practice" activity):

(3) The best I can do to replicate in BrightSpace:

As you can see, there is no "Dropdown" option in BrightSpace. The best I can do is FIB. And, as anyone who has built a question like this before can attest to, the time, number of clicks, and scrolling up/down required to create something like this is significant. Is any work underway in the development pathway to address these limitations?

• Mike.B.559
    edited April 16
    Options

I am really running into a wall with this. Any insights would be appreciated. Specifically, how can one accomplish something like the following in BrightSpace:

• Mike.B.559
    Options

I have been trying the Creator+ Trial and was surprised to see the following.

(1) there is a simplified workflow to create FIB questions that looks like this:

The quick [[brown]] fox jumps [[over]] the lazy [[dog]].
    This is the way the [[world]] ends, not with a [[bang]] but a whimper.

It creates an outcome that looks like this:

And while there are still some formatting problems with it, it is definitely simpler than the current tedious nested "Text" "Blank" "Text" "Blank" workflow we have to use in BrightSpace quizzes.

(2) a dropdown FIB question type exists. It creates questions that look like this:

My question is: why are these workflows and question types limited ONLY to "Practices"? They need to be available in "Quizzes" too. This seems to be the case in both regular BrightSpace and Creator+. Why the limitation?