Is there a way through the Data Hub or via Insights tools that we can determine which courses do...

Options
Travis.Hunt031
Travis.Hunt031 Posts: 5 🌱
edited November 2022 in Customer Enablement

Is there a way through the Data Hub or via Insights tools that we can determine which courses do (or do not) have an attachment uploaded in the "Overview" section of the content tool?

We're aiming to run a report to make sure the syllabus is uploaded in each course. I'm seeing data sets for content modules or content topics. However, I am not sure how to get data for the 'Overview' section.

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

Tagged:

Answers

• Ed.Johnsen4419
    Ed.Johnsen4419 Posts: 8 🌱
    edited November 2022
    Options

In the Valence API, yes.

Two paths.

First path:

Try to pull the attachment directly and handle the situation where there is nothing to pull.

http://docs.valence.desire2learn.com/res/content.html#get--d2l-api-le-(version)-(orgUnitId)-overview-attachment

Second path:

Get overview information:

http://docs.valence.desire2learn.com/res/content.html#get--d2l-api-le-(version)-(orgUnitId)-overview

This will give you the following.

{

"Description": <composite:RichText>,

"HasAttachment": <boolean>

}

Hope someone can answer your question more directly with Data Hub or Insights info.

• Melanie.L.119
    Melanie.L.119 Posts: 1 🌱
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hi Ed,

I'm very interested in your solution. However, I'm a very green database person. How do I use the URLs you listed here?

Thank you,

Melanie

• Ed.Johnsen4419
    Ed.Johnsen4419 Posts: 8 🌱
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hello Melanie,

In order to take advantage of the information that is available at the URL's I shared above, you'll need to utilize the Valence API.

To utilize the Valence API, you'll need either to build a server-side, or a client-side application.

In my opinion, getting started with a client-side application is the fastest and easiest way to get rolling with Valence.

When I say client-side application I am talking about an application that is built using javascript. (Within your javascript application, you'll likely want to use AJAX.)

If you or your team already have experience building javascript and AJAX-based, client-side applications, then the collection of info from Valence should be reasonably easy, but, from there, the storage of data will be a bit more tricky (utilizing files that your application will build inside of Brightspace).

If all this already makes sense, lemme know, and I'll be glad to focus on some database structures (or file structures) for data storage. I'm also glad to send an example or two of some javascript based Valence applications to give you a head start on application development at your university if desired.

Cheers