A Bird, Some Berries and Lots of Branching Scenarios

Options

Yum! Just look at those tasty berries hanging temptingly from that branch. I’d be right on that branch if I was that bird too! When I was looking for images to represent branching scenarios, this one appealed to me as much as those berries appeal to our feathered friend.

What are branching scenarios? They’re like those choose-your-own-adventure books you may have read as a kid. Learners are placed in a decision-making role, navigating through a series of inter-connected, multiple-choice questions that are often based on a simple story. The nature of a branching scenario is interactive, so it’s a great choice for learner engagement.

So how does this image represent that concept so exactly? First of all, we have more than one branch in the image, and a branching scenario needs more than one branch too. Secondly, that bird is focused. Engaged. Maybe even learning. Also true of learners and branching scenarios! Thirdly, there’s a story here: a hungry bird sees some berries. The bird lands on the closest branch and inspects the berries. Are these safe to eat? Our story will continue as the bird makes its decision. The best branching scenarios are rooted in a simple story as well. Finally, there is more than one possible ending. The bird eats these berries and they’re safe to eat (yay!) or the bird eats these berries and then turn out to be not safe to eat (not so yay) or the bird decides not to take the chance (neither yay nor not so yay). This also mimics branching scenarios because branching scenarios present learners with options that mimic real-world consequences.

Branching scenarios are a great learning tool for a number of reasons. Branching scenarios:

• Connect training content to real-world experiences;
  • Allow learners to practice and learn in the safety of a simulated environment;
  • Increase learner engagement with content;
  • Provide learners a sense of control within their learning;
  • Give learners the chance to apply their knowledge;
  • Empower advanced learners to accelerate their learning (by completing the scenario quickly) and support other learners by providing many opportunities to explore and succeed without the content feeling remedial.

Want to learn more about branching scenarios? The Brightspace Learning Center has a course for that! Learning through Branching Scenarios presents you with different formats, building tools, templates and downloadable job-aids to teach you about creating this learning experience. Read the article and access the link to the course at the end: Learning through Branching Scenarios

Comments