All of the data sets?

Options
Ed.Johnsen4419
Ed.Johnsen4419 Posts: 8 🌱
edited November 2022 in Development

I am trying to determine a list of all of the D2L products and methods that provide data to admins, educators, and students. So far, I have come across the following names for data sources:

Application API,

Brightspace Data Portal,

Brightspace Analytics,

CSV Data Exports,

Data API,

Data Hub,

Data Sets,

Insights Console,

Insights Portal,

Reporting Tool.

Careful though, my follow-up questions are obvious: What's in each of em!?

Tagged:

Answers

• Joshua.van.Wijk6262
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hi @Ed Johnsen​ , you should be able to find all that information right here on Community. Our Developer Group can likely help you with your API questions, while this article offers details on the Brightspace Data Platform:

https://community.brightspace.com/s/article/ka1610000000pLmAAI/How-to-Get-Started-with-the-Brightspace-Data-Platform

This article on the Reporting Data Warehouse will probably also be helpful:

https://community.brightspace.com/s/article/ka1610000000oGRAAY/Understanding-the-Reporting-Data-Warehouse

• Ed.Johnsen4419
    edited November 2022
    Options

Thanks for getting back to me @Joshua van Wijk​ 

I have found that the clarity, ease of access, granularity, and completeness of the documentation for everything that isn't the Application API pales next to the clarity, ease of access, granularity, and completeness of the documentation for the Application API.

Though I had hoped to compare in great detail what is available across the varied Data sources, I would be thrilled to have the following statements verified or falsified.

((I plan to mention this stuff at Fusion 2017 in a talk in the Extensibility lab and want to make sure I have it right.))

"The Application API provides all of the same data that can be found in all other Brightspace data sources combined, except for: quiz text, quiz answer text, survey text, survey answer text, and clickstream data. In addition to providing nearly all of the data found in all other sources combined, the Application API allows you access to the contents of files throughout your course and provides you access to the contents of course directories."

Please let me know if there are any slight or major changes needed to the above quoted statement. Thanks for any assistance.

• Joshua.van.Wijk6262
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hi @Ed Johnsen​ I have reached out to a Subject Matter Expert who is more knowledgeable than I, and we will try to get you an answer before Fusion.

• Maja.Kokotovic5767
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hey @Ed Johnsen​ !

Your description:

"The Application API provides all of the same data that can be found in all other Brightspace data sources combined, except for: quiz text, quiz answer text, survey text, survey answer text, and clickstream data. In addition to providing nearly all of the data found in all other sources combined, the Application API allows you access to the contents of files throughout your course and provides you access to the contents of course directories."

Is correct. If you ever do find discrepancies from this description in our developer platform, please let us know! :)

Maja

• Ed.Johnsen4419
    edited November 2022
    Options

Thanks guys!