API - PUT to user to remember action taken by user i.e. dismissing notice

Options
Andrew.Stokoe933
Andrew.Stokoe933 Posts: 3 🌱
edited November 2022 in Development

Hi there,

Can anyone suggest the best way of recording that a user has dismissed or actioned a notification in Brightspace?

Example: if the user agree's to a statement with a checkbox, a PUT action so the statement is essentially dismissed and this action is recorded against the user to prevent the notification appearing next time the user logs in or accessed the course homepage.

Thanks,

Andrew

Tagged:

Answers

• Maja.Kokotovic5767
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hey Andrew!

There currently isn't a way to control individual notifications through the Application APIs. I encourage you to submit this idea to the Product Idea Exchange where it can get visibility and others can up-vote: https://community.desire2learn.com/d2l/lp/navbars/1796/customlinks/external/15394

Kind regards,

Maja

• Andrew.Stokoe933
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hi Maja,

Yes that would be good! Really want I'm after is extra (custom) fields associated to the user's profile, which could be used to record an action taken by the user i.e. a boolean value. This would allow us to personalise Brightspace a bit more leveraging the Application API rather than relying on external databases.

Thanks,

Andrew

• David Wag207
    David Wag207 Posts: 17
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hey Andrew,

Just reading over your use case, one set of APIs you might find useful is the Demographics APIs. You can view an overview of them here:

http://docs.valence.desire2learn.com/res/demographics.html

This would allow you to store whatever sort of data you would like against a given user and retrieve it later. This data is not visible in the UI and would allow you to save some extra data against a user instead of using an external database. Currently I think it only supports a String value but you could set this to a '1'/'0' or 'true'/'false' in the case where you want to store a boolean value.

Hope that helps,

Dave

• Andrew.Stokoe933
    edited November 2022
    Options

That's really useful, thanks David!