Issues with Powerpoint view in New Content Experience

Options

I have many faculty members who like to upload Powerpoint decks into the Content area. I already receive complaints that Powerpoint files turn into a PDF, but am now receiving complaints that the PDF is showing with text overlaid and out of place. Typically, I would direct faculty members to change to the "View as Page" mode, but the bottom of the PDF viewer is hidden - I can scroll the PDF itself, but am unable to scroll the page down to see the bottom of that viewer box where the "View as Page" option resides. Anyone experiencing something similar? Any work arounds?

Answers

• Syed.H.393
    Options

Hi @Kira.H.305

Thank you for reaching out to Brightspace Community! 

In general, Microsoft native document formats are proprietary, so there always exists a non-zero chance that they will not convert to PDF and look exactly the same, or that they won't convert at all.

The recommended workaround for conversion fidelity issues is to use PDF files natively (eg. File > Save As > PDF (*.pdf) from Microsoft Office), or download the original document.

However, I would also like to suggest you open a support case so we can test/investigate the issue and other specific details.

We thank you for your patience and understanding!

Best Regards,

Syed Hasan

• Jennifer.B.472
    Jennifer.B.472 Posts: 5 🌱
    Options

Have you tried shrinking the page using the zoom options on the browser to bring the missing button back into view? I don't have the New Content Experience, but that trick has sometimes worked for me when buttons that should be available are not.

If your institution uses Microsoft 365, an alternative might be to keep the PowerPoint in OneDrive and add a view-only link to the slideshow to a module instead of a file upload. When students click the link, PowerPoint would open in a new browser tab rather than in the Brightspace frame, which may or may not be helpful. One advantage of this setup is that if an instructor is using the same slideshow in multiple course sections and needs to edit it, the updates would be immediately visible and the edited slideshow would not need to be re-uploaded to every course section.

• Kira.H.305
    Kira.H.305 Posts: 12 🌱
    Options

Thank you @Syed.H.393 and @Jennifer.B.472 for your responses.

Unfortunately, zooming to shrink the browser window does not bring the missing portion of the PDF viewer back into view. I tried this with a native PDF file as well and the bottom of the PDF viewer is still hidden.

When I opened a support ticket, I was informed that this is not something that is planned to be fixed, and I find that surprising since the entire PDF viewer is visible from the Classic Content Experience and not being able to see the entire PDF viewer in the New Content Experience is problematic.

I will recommend the use of OneDrive links as an alternative to displaying/uploading PDFs, but I know many of my faculty members rely on the ability to show files in class without having to change browser tabs when sharing their screens.

• Martin.S.331
    Martin.S.331 Posts: 1 🔍
    Options
    Hello!!!
    Any new ideas?
  • Craig.R.185
    Craig.R.185 Posts: 21
    Options

Hi @Kira.H.305. Looking at your screenshot (thank you for including this!!) I see your course is using the New Content Experience. "View as page" is available in the Classic Content interface only, which explains it absence in your case.

I don't have a definitive answer why the PowerPoint conversion is causing the text to overlap like that, but a possible culprit could be that font compatibility is to blame. I'd suggest that the author of the PowerPoint try embedding the fonts (which may be present on their computer) into the PowerPoint and then try uploading the presentation to Brightspace to see if that helps with the formatting. Embedding the font can easily be done by following the steps in the "Benefits of embedding custom fonts" article published by Microsoft Support then re-saving the presentation.

• Kira.H.305
    Kira.H.305 Posts: 12 🌱
    Options

Hi @Craig.R.185. That certainly explains why I can't see that option. Any idea why the "View as page" option isn't available in the New Content Experience?

Also, thanks for the suggestion about embedding the fonts in PowerPoint. I will recommend that to some of my super users to test.

• Craig.R.185
    Options

The New Content Experience has developed a long way since its release, gaining a lot of important features (especially in this month's release!), but it's not yet using the same Brightspace PDF renderer as Classic Content is using. I have no timeline to give, but having New Content use the same renderer is something D2L is looking at including in its development.

• Craig.R.185
    Options

By the way, as an absolutely shameless plug to see what's happening with the New Content Experience in March more indepth, anyone should feel free to join my What's New for March 20.24.03 webinar ☺️