Quiz Page Breaks

Options
I am doing a significant update to the online content of my course. Previously, I was able to customize page breaks in quizzes. Now I see that is a legacy feature only, which has me struggling to create new page breaks at appropriate spacing.

I sometimes have one question with multiple sections. It doesn't work to have the sections on different pages of a quiz, so I can't divide by section. Breaking the quiz up by every 5th or 10th question is also problematic, as the questions aren't evenly spaced for such divisions.

Will there be a return to customizable page breaks again? It would be very valuable to some
Tagged:

Answers

• Piero.d.211
    Options

Hello, Neilu, how are you?

According to our blog post entitled "Welcome to the New Quiz Creation Experience" from September 2023:
    "Quizzes created using the classic experience will see an additional option to use legacy paging which retains any previous page break settings."

Have you tried switching your view to the Classic Experience, creating the quiz and setting the page brakes as you used to do, and then switching the view to the New Content Experience?

Please, let me know if this will help solve this issue for you.

Thank you kindly,
    Piero de Sá
    Bilingual Product Support Analyst

• Mike.B.559
    Mike.B.559 Posts: 114
    Options

Just an addendeum to Piero's post. When you import a quiz and retain legacy paging, it mostly works (with some glitches). But, annoyingly, if you switch the "Paging" to something other than legacy, just to see what it looks like, you can't switch back. The "Use legacy paging" no longer appears in the menu. This is a giant pain!

See attached images:

BEFORE-paging.png shows the menu before I changed to "All questions displayed together".

AFTER-paging.png - shows the menu after the change.

There's no going back. Great. ☹️

• Mike.B.559
    Options

Also, is there any chance on hearing from UX Designers and/or Developers here? Who was consulted re making this change initially and what avenues are available (if any) to be consulted for any future changes? The inflexibility of the current system is unsustainable.

People care about this. Here are some related posts from the PIE:

New Quiz Experience: Questions per page and manual page break placement need to return (D9915)

Manually add page breaks in the New Quiz design (D9327)
    (see comments by Daniel McHugh)

Can we have the ability to insert page breaks wherever we want? (D10677)

Quiz pagination by section should include section names in navigation (D10351)

Quizzes: Create page break by Section (D7807)

(remove duplicate) Quizzes: Create page break by Section (D7808)

Shuffle Questions at Quiz Level While Maintaining Page Breaks (D6295)

Make Sections Visible in Quiz Page Navigation Menu (D7777)

BUG REPORT: fix pagination problem when inserting question into quiz (D8209)

• Daniel.M.401
    Daniel.M.401 Posts: 2 🌱
    Options

As I stated in the PIE item (Current marked status of "Released") that was never actually released/implemented "Manually add page breaks in the New Quiz design (D9327)"!

Absolutely need this ability back as a question length can vary and paging is really about managing not only the quantity of questions but the amount of scrolling required. Quizzes should be stylized with either in mind when considering the student and the presentation of a quiz.  So formatting by number of questions when questions are a consistent length (Simple and easy) and formatting by scroll length (Manual paging, a little more difficult but just as important) is needed again. Paging by section is close (Thank you for this!)  but not quite the same (I can have sections that need manual paging).  

There is also a third case for paging. Pacing.  Ultimately pacing is up to the student, not the instructor nor the quiz itself. I believe it has always been a best practice for students to go through all the questions so at least they know what they have in front of them and can judge where they need to put their time into a quiz. Having said that everything that we can do for student to help them along is of benefit. Paging a quiz so that it reflects an equal amount of time expected for a student that has a average to good knowledge of the subject matter would definitely allow a student to judge how much more they have to do in a quiz (I'm three pages in on a five page quiz so I should have about 2/5 of my time left to complete the quiz if I know all the topics ). Of course if you design this way it would also be best to inform the student from with in the quiz that this has been designed this way.  This type of pacing can not be done by Section, or by # questions but manually by the instructor in design time of the quiz.

• Mike.B.559
    Options

I totally agree. Breaking up quizzes in pedagogically, psychologically, and aesthetically meaningful ways is essential to the UX of assessment. At present, the following cannot be achieved in BrightSpace.

[PAGE BREAK]

PART B - Reading Comprehension

Read the following text and answer the questions below:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium doloremque laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?

Question 1 (1 point)

Some text for the first question:

⍜ some answer for A

⍜ another possible answer B

⍜ a third option C

Question 2 (1 point)

Some text for the second question:

⍜ some answer for A

⍜ another possible answer B

⍜ a third option C

Question 3 (1 point)

Some text for the third question: