New Access Token error, "Error: unable to get local issuer certificate"

Options
Maureen.B.923
Maureen.B.923 Posts: 106 🧭
edited November 2022 in Development

API newbie here. I'm taking the [Archived Content] Learn Postman With Paul course. I'm at the Get Initial Token phase in Postman. I've filled in all my fields, clicked "Get New Access Token", and I get prompted to sign in... Which I do - but then I get the, "Error: unable to get local issuer certificate" error. What am I missing?

Tagged:

Answers

• Samantha.B.305
    Samantha.B.305 Posts: 9 admin
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hi @Maureen Barrow​.

The error "Unable to get local issuer certificate" is caused by a misconfiguration of the SSL certificate on your machine. An SSL certificate is code on your web server that provides security for online communications. Thus, the error is occurring because the server cannot create a secure connection with your machine.

Here are some generic ways for how to fix an SSL certificate error:

• Diagnose the problem with an online tool. Search for an SSL certificate checker online to verify the details of the SSL certificate.
    • Install an intermediate certificate on your web server. If the issue is that your certificate authority (CA) is not trusted, you may need an intermediate certificate on your web server. These help browsers establish that the website's certificate was issued by a valid CA.
    • Generate a new Certificate Signing Request (CSR). If you are still receiving an error, generate a new CSR from your server and reissue it to your certificate provider. Steps for this can vary.
    • Upgrade to a dedicated IP address. If a name mismatch is occurring, then it could be due to your IP address. If you use a type of web hosting other than dedicated hosting, your site may be sharing an IP address with multiple sites. If one of those websites does not have an SSL certificate installed, then a browser might not know which site it’s supposed to visit and display a mismatch name error message.
    • Change all URLS to HTTPS. If you're receiving a mixed content error, change the URLs of the insecure elements to HTTPS. You can do this by editing the source code. You may also need additional support from your web hosting provider.
    • Renew your SSL certificate. Do this if your SSL Certificate is expired. You'll need to generate a CSR, activate your new certificate, and install it.

If you are unsure about troubleshooting this way or you continue to get the same error, please contact D2L Technical Support.

I hope this helps!

• Maureen.B.923
    edited November 2022
    Options

@Samantha Baran​  thanks for the response. To clarify, the "misconfiguration of the SSL certificate on your machine" - is the machine you're referring to a Dematic machine? Or the Brightspace cloud?

I'm the admin of our system, but I wasn't around when it was configured, so I don't know if I should be contacting Dematic IT for support, or logging a bug with Brightspace tech support.

• Maureen.B.923
    edited November 2022
    Options

Turns out my problem was a setting in Postman itself. Once we turned off this setting, I stopped getting the error.

MicrosoftTeams-image (4)