New Experience - files uploaded to content

Hi there,

Files uploaded in the content of a course, regardless of type, all end up being PDF docs in student view. However, some assignments in Business and Office Admin courses require students to make changes to a Word doc, or to complete accounting problems in an Excel Spreadsheet. This isn't possible if Brightspace automatically converts the file to a PDF. Is there a solution for this? P.S. I know that files attached to Dropbox assignments maintain their file extension. The problem is that students need to be able to download practice templates (hence placing them in Content).

thanks,

Katherine @ Suncrest College

Best Answer

• Steve.B.446
    Steve.B.446 Posts: 74
    Answer ✓

There is a workaround: Create a new HTML file, use Insert Stuff and select Module Files. Click upload and upload your file. This will generate a link to the file which downloads (or opens in a browser preview) rather than the default Brightspace viewer.

Answers

• Hi @Katherine.S.584

I appreciate your inquiry.
    As you have noticed, files uploaded into content, regardless of the file format, display as PDFs. This is a default setting that cannot be modified.
    I suggest adding instructions that learners would have to download templates.
    We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.
    Iwona