Submitting an assignment with no content

Options
Michael.K.225
Michael.K.225 Posts: 4 🔍
For some assessments in my class, the students must record themselves performing musical exercises. In order to save the system from hundreds of gigabyes of video uploads into "Assignments", I ask the students to upload their videos to YouTube (set them to unpublished), and simply provide me with the link to the video on Brightspace.

It would be nice if they could simply copy the URL into the comments section when they go to submit their link, however, Brightspace requires an actual file to be uploaded. Some put the url into a word document and upload that. Other's attach a phone selfie, or picture of their cat.

I mean, that's cute and all, but why should my students be bothered to have to upload cat pictures to send me their link.
Can you simply allow submissions with no file attached, and simply text in the comments section?
Tagged:

Answers

• Jennifer.W.973
    Jennifer.W.973 Posts: 242 🌟
    Options

@Michael.K.225 When creating an assignment, change the submission type to Text submission under Submission & Completion in the sidebar. The default is File submission and you won't be able to change this once students start submitting.