Support for ETag and If-None-Match headers

Options
Ryker.B.782
Ryker.B.782 Posts: 3 🔍
edited November 2023 in Development
This is more of a feature request than a question, I hope this is the right place to submit it.

If the Brightspace REST API supported Etag and If-None-Match headers, it could allow for more efficient communication for both the client and the server

The headers are described in these links: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Headers/If-None-Match https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Headers/ETag.

Many other APIs and web services support these headers. The idea is, when you make an API call, an ETag header is included in the response, which is just a string of characters that is usually some kind of hash of the content. Then, the next time the client makes that same request, they can include an If-None-Match header in the request containing that Etag. If nothing has changed, the server responds with an empty 200 response. That way the client knows that content hasn't changed, and it also saves time and bandwidth for both sides.

This is useful for integrations that have to regularly check for updates to content.

Thanks,
Ryker Blunck
Tagged:

Answers

• Mohit.B.878
    Options

Hello Ryker

We appreciate your feedback and have identified this as a feature request. Kindly open an idea in the community Product exchange Ideas 

The Product Idea Exchange is designed for direct submission by our clients and end users to our Product Development organization and has the following advantages:

• allows you to receive direct updates on each request you submit

• allows other community members to vote on ideas

• allows other community members to contribute to and collaborate on each idea

• ensures ideas that have the greatest impact on our clients and end users receive consideration for inclusion in future releases.

We look forward to hearing from you at the Product Idea Exchange!

Best Regards,

Mohit Bhargav

• Ryker.B.782
    Ryker.B.782 Posts: 3 🔍
    edited November 2023
    Options

Thanks for the quick response. When I follow the link to "Product exchange ideas," I encounter a login page, and my credentials for this site do not work there. Is there a way for me to get credentials to that page, or am I just doing something wrong?

For reference, I'm an employee of the client Atomic Jolt.

Thanks,

Ryker Blunck

• Mohit.B.878
    Options

Hello @Ryker.B.782

PIE (Product exchange ideas) cannot ever be accessed via a direct link, PIE always needs to be accessed by first signing into the Brightspace Community.

Could you please try accessing the Product Exchange Idea from under the Resources Tab?

Best Regards,

Mohit Bhargav