How do you mark activities as optional?

Options
Maureen.B.923
Maureen.B.923 Posts: 106 🧭
edited November 2022 in Customer Enablement

As per the latest release notes, "the activity completion tracking in New Learner Experience (LX) no longer includes optional activities. "

How do you mark activities as optional or required? It seems like everything I add to my content is listed as Required.

Edited to add some context:

• I'm a super admin
  • Our courses usually only consist of Units, HTML pages, and embedded links to tools such as Discussions, Assignments, and Quizzes
Tagged:

Answers

• Sue.H.848
    Sue.H.848 Posts: 26 🌱
    edited November 2022
    Options

From what I can see, that can only be done with content completion marks in the previous experience. Items that are set to "not required" seen as dashes -- in Classic Content, are now going to be labeled as optional in the New Content Experience. At least this is an improvement when turning on NCE for existing courses, so I'm glad about the update.

Hoping there will be an obvious way to mark items as optional in the NCE soon. I can't find a way to do this without switching back.

• Mark.Iddon9149
    Mark.Iddon9149 Posts: 3 🌱
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hi Maureen. I was wondering the same thing! And having setting up a new activity (with the idea of it being required or optional in mind), I'm still none the wiser - as I can't see any related settings. Have you had any luck figuring it out?

Susan, I'm afraid I didn't understand your response. How do you set items to "not required"? And are you saying that can only be done in Classic view?

Many thanks,

Mark

• Maureen.B.923
    edited November 2022
    Options

@Mark Iddon​  nope, haven't found a better answer than "Switch back to Classic View."

• Mark.Iddon9149
    edited November 2022
    Options

Ah right, okay. So switching to Classic view does allow for activities to be marked as optional? Sorry, I'm not very familiar with Classic view at all.

• Maureen.B.923
    edited November 2022
    Options

Me neither. :) I opted not to make the switch, so I don't have any solutions/answers for you.

• Mark.Iddon9149
    edited November 2022
    Options

Screenshot 2022-02-04 at 14.58.03Ah ha! so there's these options in the 'Properties' of a content item (not necessarily an activity). So the next question - which I'm now realising may be your original question - is how to replicate these settings in the New Learner Experience?