What's the difference between inserting a YouTube video vs embedding a YouTube video?

Options
Maureen.B.923
Maureen.B.923 Posts: 106 🧭
edited November 2022 in Customer Enablement

Our Brightspace instance does not have an API key, so we can't use Insert Stuff > YouTube. As a workaround, our instructors use Insert Stuff > Enter Embed Code, then we use the embed URL from YouTube.

What are the functional differences between these options? Are there benefits to using Insert Stuff > Youtube? Should I push my org to set up an API key?

Tagged:

Answers

• Geoff.M.8935
    Geoff.M.8935 Posts: 9
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hi @Maureen Barrow​,

The main benefit to the Insert Stuff > YouTube workflow is that it can make use of the YouTube API to search for videos within ISF itself. In terms of just playback, there is no meaningful difference. So, in your case, it sounds like using the embed codes is fine.

Hope this helps. Have a great day.

• Brock.P.633
    Brock.P.633 Posts: 16 🌱
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hi - a related question. My impression has been that other advantages of using Insert Stuff for YouTube used to be that:

1) It defaulted to using the https:// version of the video;

2) It prevented recommended videos from appearing after playback completes.

From a quick google, a few years back, YouTube has changed the parameter that used to allow the disabling of recommended videos (which now results, at best, in showing videos from the channel itself, rather than the anyone of YouTube).

In short, I'm just wondering - is there anywhere in the Community or in the Documentation where any unique advantages of embedding through the LMS (rather than gathering embed code from YouTube itself) are detailed?

(I can try and guess through observation and testing, but it would be nice to know if this is already covered in detail somewhere, and a summary would be useful to the whole community.)

Thanks,

Brock