How can I extend the quiz deadlines for all students regardless of whether they have taken the quiz?

Several of my students cannot access a quiz even though we haven't reached the deadline yet. I extended the original deadline, but a number of students who haven't taken the quiz still see the original deadline that has already passed, and therefore cannot access the quiz. I've been breaking my brain for the last hour or so trying to fix this.

Answers

• Hi @Tomas.R.527

If your quiz date restrictions are okay, then your student will have no issue accessing it from the Quizzes tool directly. So I was wondering if you are sharing this quiz in your course Content section. If so, it could be that the content topic that is hosting the quiz also needs to have its date restrictions updated.

Please let me know if this is helpful.

• Are you utilizing 'Special Access' for any of your students? While it is not required to set Start/End Dates for a student when adding Special Access, it is common for people to do so. When that happens, the special access dates override the main start/end dates on the quiz for that student/group of students. Because you said that students were still seeing the initial dates, that seems most likely for you at the moment.

To check your Special Access, edit the quiz and select the Availability Dates & Conditions panel. Under the Special Access heading, select the link for Manage Special Access. If your students have dates included in their special access you can modify those by selecting the pencil/edit icon beside each one.

You don't need to include a different start/end date if you are mainly utilizing the Special Access for different timing restrictions or # of Attempts allowed. If you don't select a different Start/End/Due date, then they will have the same dates as you have set on the quiz itself.

Hope that helps!

• Tomas.R.527
    Tomas.R.527 Posts: 4 🔍

Hi Ricardo and Johnny! Thank you both for replying to my message.

To answer your questions, yes, the quiz is part of the course content. In a moment of desperation, I granted special access to all my students using the extended deadline, so this should not be causing any issues. The only place where I can still find the original deadline is in the class list. When I click on individual names and select the section "Quizzes" I can still find the original deadline there. It cannot be changed there, but I have changed it everywhere else. Still, roughly half of my class could not take the quiz because, despite all my efforts, it closed on Aug. 29th. It's puzzling…

• Jennifer.W.973
    Jennifer.W.973 Posts: 357 🎆

@Tomas.R.527 Are you able to share screenshots of what you are seeing? I'm not sure how/why you would be seeing end dates in the Classlist.

• Tomas.R.527
    Tomas.R.527 Posts: 4 🔍

Of course! This is what I see under "Edit assignment". My last ditch effort was to extend the deadline again, hence the date of September 1st.

This is what I see under "Quizzes" → "Quiz 1" → "Edit". Here we see the extended deadline of August 31st.

…and this is what I see under "Class progress" when I click on individual students who weren't able to access the quiz. No matter what I do, it says the quiz ended on Aug. 29th.