How to stop notifications showing students their grades from hidden grade items?

Adam.H.448
Adam.H.448 Posts: 7 🌱
edited November 2022 in Customer Enablement

We're relatively new to D2L, and I've got an issue with instructors publishing grades. Basically, I've got a professor grading his final exams, and he's got all of his grade items hidden and he even removed grades from the navbar so the students can't see the gradebook currently.

Then he goes into spreadsheet view and is manually typing in their final exam scores. The problem is that, once the score is typed into his gradebook, the students are getting a notification with their grade; even when the grade item is hidden for that particular course.

Obviously what we desperately want is a toggle switch that is something like "gradebook on/or for all students", which would be nice.

In the interim, I realize that we can go into the gradebook SETTINGS and change the ORG UNIT DISPLAY OPTIONS, to not display points grade/weighted grade...etc. to the students. But even after doing that, the dang notifications still spit out the game to the students, despite our best efforts to try and hide it.

I can't turn off the notification functionality system wide, but I'm wondering about the best way to do this "hidden gradebook while I'm doing the final" without notifications ratting us out and showing the students their grades anyway.

Any help here?

Thanks much for anything anyone can offer.

Tagged:

Answers

• Adam.H.448
    edited November 2022

I meant the dang notifications "still spit out the grade to the students..." - although it's feeling like a game trying to get this functionality out of the system ;)

• Adam.H.448
    edited November 2022

This is our problem here. How do we stop this:

problem1 

These are showing up even if the grade items are hidden and the gradebook org unit display options have NO BOXES CHECKED.

• Adam.H.448
    edited November 2022

And by the way, even after we unchecked every box in the org unit display options, we graded a new final exam, and this notification above still told the student they got an 87%, despite everything I've done to think of to hide this.

The final exam grades are being typed into the spreadsheet view in the gradebook (not from any quizzes or assignments tool).

• Robin.L.207
    Robin.L.207 Posts: 5
    edited November 2022

Hi Adam, there is a config variable you can turn off called d2l.Tools.Notifications.User.ShowGradeValues. This will hide the value in the notification window

• Silvana.Ngo458
    Silvana.Ngo458 Posts: 1 🌱
    edited November 2022

This is also a problem I've encountered. When I contacted D2L via live chat, the answer was to hide the grade item before updating but this thread indicates that once the grade item is shown, the notifications for all changes done will be sent out. I also checked the instructions given above by Robin Lawrenson (d2l.Tools.Notifications.User.ShowGradeValues) but cannot find the link. Can somebody advise?

• Christina.T.727
    Christina.T.727 Posts: 27 🧭
    edited November 2022

Hi

Related on this, would this stop the notification going out completely?

As our users are complaining about notifications that they are getting messages with their 'Final Estimated Grade'

We just want to completely turn off notifications around grades and estimated grades. But this looks like it will only turn off it including the actual grade in the notification

Config variable. Show Grades User