👉 Check out the New D2L Adventure Group to connect with engaging and accessible resources for best practices to empower K12 Members at every point on their educational adventures ⛰️

Navigation Link

Options
Kellie.R.407
Kellie.R.407 Posts: 8 🌱
edited August 2023 in K-12

When faculty click on the quicklink in the navigation bar to a page, they get an error. See attached.

Best Answer

• Jeffrey.M.844
    Jeffrey.M.844 Posts: 56
    edited August 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @Kellie.R.407,

It's difficult to say specifically what the cause is without additional information and/or logging into your site to inspect.

The likely causes is that the link is pointing to an object that is released conditioned or whose visibility is toggled off. If you have another role — let's say an Admin — follow the link, does it work? if yes, that's a tell-tale sign it could be related to access or lack thereof.

Another possibility is that whatever the link it pointing to no longer exists, or it no longer exists in the location the link it pointing to.

To troubleshoot, someone with permission to create and edit custom navbar links — usually an Admin — can locate the custom link in the Navigation & Themes tool and edit to expose the target URL, which may reveal more about what the link is pointing to (a topic, a course, a webpage, a file, etc). From there, they can investigate the possible causes noted above.

I hope that helps!

Jeffrey

Learning Administration Manager

Answers

• Olly.F.893
    Options

Hi! If it's just that one link, you will want to speak to the people that look after Brightspace at your organisation. It's likely that the link that's used in the navbar is either wrong or out of date. If it's all of the links, you will want to let them know and they may need to raise a support case.

• Kellie.R.407
    Kellie.R.407 Posts: 8 🌱
    Options

Hello,

I think I figured it out. The link was going to a hidden unit. Since students in the class do not have access to view hidden content it was giving an error. Once I change the link to a visible unit, they were able to view. Thank you.

• Jeffrey.M.844
    Jeffrey.M.844 Posts: 56
    edited August 2023
    Options

@Kellie.R.407

Awesome, I'm glad you figured it out!

As I mentioned in my response , pointing to a content object whose visibility is toggled off will have this effect.

Have a good one!

Jeffrey

Learning Administration Manager