How to extend the deadline for a single student in a discussion

Options

I have a student with accommodations and one of these is to have extended deadlines. This works fine for assignments and quizzes, but how do I give a single student additional time on a discussion assignment?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jennifer.W.973
    Jennifer.W.973 Posts: 242 🌟
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Matthew.W.752 Click on the Product Idea Exchange link in the right sidebar. It will open in a new tab and log you in. Then come back to this page and click on the link in the comment.

As for Discussions, there is no real due date or special access for discussions in D2L like there is for assignments and quizzes. They only have start and end dates, which are the same for all students. However, you could add the student to a group, put a release condition on the discussion that only members of that one group can see it, and then change the end date.

Answers

• Julie.L.787
    Julie.L.787 Posts: 291 admin
    Options

Hi @Matthew.W.752 ,

Thanks for reaching out to Community with this excellent question. It got me curious also, so I've reached out to our Discussions experts to find out more. Grateful to be learning with you!

• Bharti.B.332
    Options

Thanks Julie for your assistance and reaching out to discussions team.

@Matthew.W.752

While Julie continues to engage with our discussions team and provide more details, I thought the following information might also be helpful.

I found a similar idea on our Product Idea Exchange - Add 'Special Access' to the Discussions tool (D10000).

The Product Idea Exchange is designed for users like you to send direct submissions to our Product Development organization.

It allows you to receive direct updates on each request you submit

It allows other community members to vote on ideas

It allows other community members to contribute to and collaborate on each idea

It ensures ideas that have the greatest impact on our clients and end users receive consideration for inclusion in future

We look forward to hearing from you at the Product Idea Exchange!

Kind Regards,

Bharti

• Matthew.W.752
    Matthew.W.752 Posts: 5 🌱
    Options

When I click on the link you provided I am ask to login to https://desire2learn.brightidea.com/ct/ct_login

I am unable to login to this site using existing credentials and the forgot password tool just tells me "error sending email".

• Renee.J.194
    Renee.J.194 Posts: 113
    Options

There are older ideas on this, such as D8145, D7537, and, with 97 votes, D4832. Such an obvious requirement both for accessibility and convenience.

• Matthew.W.752
    Options

I am new so I am not sure how to search for a discussion by the D#, perhaps someone could just answer the question within this thread?

• Ricardo.S.110
    Options

Hello @Matthew.W.752

I am sorry you are experiencing issues logging in to PIE. Have you been able to access it yet?
    If not, may I trouble you to try the following steps, or let me know a time that’s most convenient for you to connect? It would be my pleasure to complete these steps with you.

1) Once you log into the Community, click your profile picture and select “Account & Privacy Settings”

2) Select the link to update your personal information

3) Temporarily update your segment to another option ex. Government

4) Select Continue

6. Select the Product Idea Exchange link, and please let us know if you can now connect.

• If you can connect: you are welcome to repeat the steps above to adjust your segment back to Higher Education;
    • If you cannot connect: please reply to this email, and we will continue troubleshooting.

Thank you for your kind patience and assistance as we connect you to our Community Integrations.

• Steve.B.446
    Steve.B.446 Posts: 72
    Options

I guess the reason this has not been implemented so far is that the use case intuitively shouldn't be required. A discussion forum with just the one student isn't going to have much of a conversation! Obviously people have repurposed the discussions tool for other use cases.

Can you use Release Conditions to work around the limitations?

• Matthew.W.752
    Options

@Ricardo.S.110

I tried what you said and it does not seem to affect anything. When I click on the PIE link provided above I am directed to a login like this

The email and password login are not the same as the one for the community site as I tried those and they don't work. Using the "forgot your password?" link results in the following

There is no option to actually create an account so I am at a loss.

@Steve.B.446

The discussion forum is still with the whole class, you just have one learner replying last. They can still reply and contribute. There are quite a few condition types in the release condition drop down menu but I am not sure how any of them could be used in this context.

I appreciate everyone's response but this issue is still unresolved. If anyone would be so kind as to post a specific work around in this thread I would be most appreciative.

• Matthew.W.752
    Options

@Jennifer.W.973 Thanks, that was what I was missing. I now have access to the PIE!

After checking the links above it shows a long history of others asking about this same issue for the same reasons but it appears it still has not been implemented. There are some "ideas" of a workaround but nothing specific enough for a novice like myself to implement.