👉 Check out the New D2L Adventure Group to connect with engaging and accessible resources for best practices to empower K12 Members at every point on their educational adventures ⛰️

Quiz Questions with randomized with differnet degrees of difficulty.

Options
Lorn.K.371
Lorn.K.371 Posts: 10 🌱

How do I randomize quiz questions with different levels of difficulty within Bright Space?

Answers

• Andrea.B.236
    Andrea.B.236 Posts: 179 admin
    Options

Hi @Lorn.Kennedy7122 ,

Thank you for reaching out to the Brightspace Community!

We have recently updated documentation on creating randomized Quizzes. You can check out the linked documentation, it will walk you through how to create these question pools and randomize the quiz experience.

Is this helpful? We hope so! If you have further questions or feedback, please feel welcome to reach out to us.

• Stephanie.S.473
    Stephanie.S.473 Posts: 2 🌱
    edited May 2023
    Options

@Andrea.B.236 I have already divided my question bank into separate categories. What I would like to do is have control over how many questions I can pull from each category. For example: I have three categories for significant figures. One with easy questions, one with medium questions and one with hard questions. I would like to create a random quiz that pulls 5 questions from the easy category, 2 questions from the medium category and 1 question from the hard one. I don't see that as an option in question pool. Is there a way to do that?

• Andrea.B.236
    Options

Hi @Stephanie.Sedgwick5931 ,

Thank you for reaching out to the Brightspace Community with your question!

The best practice for achieving this is to create Question Pools for each level of difficulty. Then, you will have the flexibility to pull questions from each pool as necessary for the quiz.

Previously, this thread linked out to our documentation specifically on creating Quizzes with random question pools. For additional questions on creating Question pools and setting up Quizzes, we have a longer walkthrough that includes video as well!

• Stephanie.S.473
    Stephanie.S.473 Posts: 2 🌱
    edited June 2023
    Options

Hi @Andrea.B.236,

But how do I pull a specific number of questions from each difficulty level? I have created my levels. Now I want to make a test using more than one of the levels. For example, a midterm. I want to pull 5 RANDOM questions from 1 category, 3 RANDOM questions from another category and 1 RANDOM question from a third category. I can't see that this is possible with the current set up. All I see is the option to choose 9 questions from 3 categories which is not the same thing. Student A could get all easy questions while student B could get all hard questions. Is there a setting that our administrator does not know about? Can you provide documentation on how I would get the specific number of questions from each category please?

• Andrea.B.236
    Options

Hi @Stephanie.S.473 ,

For creating Question Pools, you can check out our documentation on Managing Questions in the Quiz Builder, which talks about how to set up a Question Pool.

If you are not seeing the options shown in the documentation linked here and above, we recommend reaching out to your institution's IT Support team, in case there is something else going on. If you need assistance reaching out to them, please let me know!

• Jennifer.W.973
    Jennifer.W.973 Posts: 235 🌟
    Options

@Stephanie.S.473 Create three separate pools within your quiz corresponding to the three categories. You can specify how many questions from each category that each student will receive and it will pull them at random.