Is there a way to make Exempt work with formulas?

Options

Let's say I have two items in my grade book, A and B, each worth 10 points.

And I have a formula item, Total, with the following formula:

(([A.Points Received] + [B.Points Received]) / ([A.Max Points] + [B.Max Points])) * 100

And I have a student who scored 10/10 on item A, and is Exempt for item B.

I am finding that their score for Total is 50, when I would expect it to be 100.

Is there a way to respect Exempt items in a formula?

Tagged:

Answers

• Aasim.Y.704
    Aasim.Y.704 Posts: 129 ⏸️ Inactive
    Options

Hi @Adam.Krawitz9720,

For formula grade items, grade exemptions affect the scores as follows:

• Formulas treat exemptions as empty (null) grades; however, the Treat ungraded as 0 setting is ignored. If a learner is exempted from a grade, then the exemption and its cascading results are treated as null.
    • If a formula grade item used in another formula and the former is empty (null), then it is treated as though it were exempted during the formula calculation.

📄 To learn more about how formula grade items that include exemptions are treated in Brightspace check out the article!

• Adam.K.759
    Adam.K.759 Posts: 5 🌱
    Options

Hi @Aasim Yac947,

Thanks for your response. However, having tested this, I can tell you that it doesn't quite work. Specifically, the value of [Item.Max Points] is not null when Item has an exemption. Perhaps this is a bug?

• Aasim.Y.704
    Aasim.Y.704 Posts: 129 ⏸️ Inactive
    Options

Hi @Adam.Krawitz9720,

I have connected your feedback to our product expert to review! Stay tuned here for an update.

Appreciate your patience!

• Luke.D.727
    Luke.D.727 Posts: 7 🌱
    Options

I am also interested in how this resolves, as I also would like to be able to use exemptions in Formula cases and have had issues similar to those described.