Students are unable to add images to a essay question when taking a quiz. Students have access...

Options
Jonathan.H.679
Jonathan.H.679 Posts: 8 🧭
edited November 2022 in Customer Enablement

Students are unable to add images to a essay question when taking a quiz. Students have access to the HTML editor, when using the "Insert Image" button the only choice is URL, not able to upload from their computer.

Instructors can correctly preview a quiz, and embed images using the Insert Image button in the HMTL editor that will appear in the quiz attempt. Students cannot access the "My Computer" option to upload images for questions that use the HTML editor.

Tagged:

Answers

• Jason.H.500
    Jason.H.500 Posts: 37
    edited November 2022
    Options

I never noticed that before... very interesting. I wonder if that's the intended functionality?

• Lynsey.D.252
    Lynsey.D.252 Posts: 42
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hi @Jonathan Hedrick​ 

The reason you're experiencing this inability for students to add images from anything other than a URL to a question in quizzes is because of the default permission settings. By changing the permissions in quizzes to allow students to add images from their computer requires that they have access to Manage Files, as this is where Brightspace stores the uploads students submit. Giving students access to Manage Files is a risky decision, so it is typically turned off. I see that you have already voted this up in P.I.E. but in the mean time, a work around that we sometimes use in Learning and Creative Services when setting up this experience for clients is encourage students to paste images into a Google doc (or similar online tool) and share the URL in the quiz. Alternative, we've also set up an assignment to go along with the quiz where students can submit their images after they've completed the quiz. Both options are a bit clunky, but they can serve the purpose.

Hope this helps!

Lynsey

• Jonathan.H.679
    edited November 2022
    Options

Lynsey, thank you for the detailed answer! This is not a high need area for us, but would be "nice to have" for a future release. Thanks again!

• Emily.Schudel2158
    Emily.Schudel2158 Posts: 3 🌱
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hi - I am now wondering the same thing - as faculty are now frantically trying to find online assessment options for students (as I know all of you are dealing with too). Students can embed images in the Discussion tool HTML editor, but not in the Assignment HTML editor nor the Quiz Written Response HTML editor. What is the difference?

Emily

• Jose.Pineda9686
    Jose.Pineda9686 Posts: 7 🌱
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hello,

I am also on the same boat as well. I'll be honest, I'm very frustrated with the fact that I could not actually see what is going on from the student's perspective. I received several frantic emails from students saying that they could not upload the image to the quiz which I initially told them would be simple (seeing as I did a demo with them using my own account and it all seemed normal). How can I give students access to uploading photos from their computer to the textbox? You said that there is a default permission setting that does not allow but how do you change this to allow students to Manage Files? I really need this fixed ASAP as I have several assessments on the docket and I don't want to have to create more confusion for my students by sending them on a treasure hunt to find out how to send photos of their graphs to me.

• Jason.H.500
    Jason.H.500 Posts: 37
    edited November 2022
    Options

@Jose Pineda​ It sounds like that that permission change isn't feasible.

You may have to split your assessment into a quiz + an assignment (upload photos).

Or you could have students upload their photos to Google Drive/OneDrive/Imgur and include a link.

• Jose.Pineda9686
    edited November 2022
    Options

That's not very convenient at all for students or myself. This is making them go to two different places to complete ONE quiz/test. I then have to mark two sets of assessments. Not very practical at all!

• Lynsey.D.252
    edited November 2022
    Options

Students can be granted access for Manage Files in the Roles and Permissions setting, but I do caution you to consider what is in Manage Files and whether there is sensitive course information contained there. This also opens up the ability for students to see one another's submissions. While not ideal, the best and safest solution is to have students submit images through assignments. I highly encourage you to vote this P.I.E feature up and share it around to get more votes.

• Jose.Pineda9686
    edited November 2022
    Options

Where is the Roles and Permission setting? I am sorry but making my students go to a second link to upload a file is very inconvenient for them and for me as the grader. I want a “one-stop” shop for the test.

• Jose.Pineda9686
    edited November 2022
    Options

How do I change the permission? I don’t see it here or am I missing something?

• Lynsey.D.252
    edited November 2022
    Options

@Jose Pineda​ This is likely controlled by your LMS admin. I recommend reaching out to them to discuss this option.

• Jose.Pineda9686
    edited November 2022
    Options

I reached out to them and they said there is nothing they can change right now due to the amount of requests for help coming in. Are you sure there is no way I can allow students access to upload? I apologize for the questions but I want to help my students out.

• Emily.Schudel2158
    Emily.Schudel2158 Posts: 3 🌱
    edited November 2022
    Options

I still don't understand the permissions problem. Students can embed images in the HTML editor in Discussions and Assignments, so why not Quizzes?

Emily

• Jose.Pineda9686
    edited November 2022
    Options

Completely agree Emily. It doesn’t make sense. Hopefully this feature is added soon.

• Jonathan.H.679
    edited November 2022
    Options

This is described by PIE D2443, which is now "In Planning" with an ETA of Aug 2020 per their support rep.

• Jose.Pineda9686
    edited November 2022
    Options

Good to know, thanks!

• Pablo.M.655
    Pablo.M.655 Posts: 1 🌱
    edited November 2022
    Options

I am the admin in my institution and I hope this could be available soon. Until this will be ready, ¿would not be a better option to quit the HTML box for instructor role?

When teacher preview the quiz they can see the My computer option to upload an image and they think students can upload too and because of this, they think this is a LMS malfunction.

Other instructors believe students are lying because, as instructors, they can see all the options. This is creating a confused scenario.