When creating a rubric, if text is copied/pasted into the different level description fields for...

Options
Xavier.Garcia6547
Xavier.Garcia6547 Posts: 5 🌱
edited November 2022 in Customer Enablement

When creating a rubric, if text is copied/pasted into the different level description fields for any given criterion it does not save when closed and reopened. However, it does stay for initial feedback. Does anyone know what could cause this behavior?

I should note that any text typed directly into the field will stay. This behavior only occurs when it is copied/pasted into the criterion description text fields for any given level.

Tagged:

Answers

• Sue.H.848
    Sue.H.848 Posts: 26 🌱
    edited November 2022
    Options

hmmm... it might be the length. Try to copy/paste a short description. This seems to occur in the criterion title and not the cells within the row.

I frequently need to shorten the criterion titles for rubrics given to me by instructors. Once, I tried putting the details in the first cell but it didn't work well visually while assessing (the length got in the way of efficient point and click operations). Now I recommend that instructors put the full detail rubric in content for students to view and then use a shortened, what I call, "scoring rubric," with less detail for the actual assessing.

• Xavier.Garcia6547
    edited November 2022
    Options

That is strange. In our instance the criterion titles seem to stay even when the title is pasted from the clipboard (copied/pasted). It is specifically the criterion description that is affected (deleted) when the rubric is closed or the "Reverse Level Order" button is selected. In both of these cases, whatever was pasted from the clipboard is removed/deleted. We are on version 20.19.10.18560.

• Jacqueline.K.327
    Jacqueline.K.327 Posts: 6 🌱
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hi @Xavier Garcia​ ,

Are you using the new rubric editing experience? If so, when you click out of the field that you're editing, it should attempt to auto-save (you can look tot he top right of the tool to see the "Saving..." and then "Saved" text. If it can't save, you should see a red box around the field and an error of some kind and the content of that box won't save. If you close the rubric while saving is in progress, I expect that would result in losing your changes.

If you haven't already, this sounds like something to capture a screen cast of and submit to support. I tried a few times to replicate this in my environments (one on 20.19.10 and one on 20.19.11) and am not seeing any unexpected behaviour in this tool at my institution.

• Xavier.Garcia6547
    edited November 2022
    Options

Yes, we are using the new rubric experience. And it was strange to see the "Saving..." text but then still experience the loss after editing the rubric. After contacting support they confirmed that it is a bug they are currently investigating in LE version 20.19.10.

• Emily.Schudel2158
    Emily.Schudel2158 Posts: 3 🌱
    edited November 2022
    Options

We are having intermittent issues with the auto save for the new rubric experience in general. Sometimes the auto save works, and other times when you re-open the rubric, the last changes have not been saved - anyone else having this issue?

• Xavier.Garcia6547
    edited November 2022
    Options

We have also encountered the same issue with the new rubric experience. If you are using version 20.19.10, Brightspace Support has said it is in fact a bug. In our experience we have found that the issue occurs when text is copied/pasted into the text fields. It would seem that text typed directly into the field does manage to stay put when the rubric is re-opened.

• dhayes1@dtcc.edu
    dhayes1@dtcc.edu Posts: 1 🌱
    edited November 2022
    Options

We are having similar issues. One of our instructors has reported that if you add a space at the end of your text when you paste it will save.

• Xavier.Garcia6547
    edited November 2022
    Options

@Dallas Hayes That seems to be the best option at this time. Thanks for the information!

• Sara.Simpson2622
    Sara.Simpson2622 Posts: 1 🌱
    edited November 2022
    Options

Does anyone have any idea how to recover information that was lost?