Completing Actions While Impersonating User

Shawn.Bell7218
Shawn.Bell7218 Posts: 28 🌱
edited November 2022 in Customer Enablement

I am impersonating mock users to generate completed section results and quiz results, so that I can show this data to senior leaders before D2L Launch.

While impersonating a user, I have completed sections and quizzes, logged in etc. Once I am finished this and go to classlist none of the results are displayed. It's as if this information is lost once I discontinue impersonating.

Tagged:

Answers

• Jonathan.S.595
    Jonathan.S.595 Posts: 80 🧭
    edited November 2022

You are correct. Impersonating will not show a tracking history. But the assignments turned in will be time stamps and still exist. So you can turn in assignments on behave of people.

• Shawn.Bell7218
    edited November 2022

Thank you Jonathan. I created users under my personal e-mail to complete quizzes in the hopes of generating a report. I am unsure where to login to my course as my 'learner self' under a different account, as I cannot login using the same page I do as an administrator. Sorry if this wording is confusing.

• Jason.H.500
    Jason.H.500 Posts: 38
    edited November 2022

How were the mock users created? There might be a different log in page depending on the authentication used.

• Iwona.S.533
    Iwona.S.533 Posts: 60
    edited November 2022

Hi @Shawn Bell​ 

When you impersonate a student and complete course activities (quizzes, discussions, etc.) from the content, they will be marked as completed however the content topic will state as not visited.

Currently this is expected behavior.

The following feature requests have been already submitted:

Impersonation should count Content topic visits as a user's own visits(D375)

Allow testing of Release Conditions by impersonating a student (D4656)

Please, visit the above PIEs and add a comment/vote to increase the visibility.

To resolve the issue you will have to log on as your test users.

Thanks,

Iwona

• Shawn.Bell7218
    edited November 2022

@Jason Henslee​  They were created as course administrator, under classlist. Create user. classlist

• Shawn.Bell7218
    edited November 2022

@Iwona Szelag​ Thanks Iwona. I am unsure where to login as the test users. When I utilize the username and password (where I login as administrator) it does not work.

• Jason.H.500
    edited November 2022

If your university uses 3rd party authentication, you will have to locate the direct D2L log in page. It should look like this: https://imgur.com/SFdz8LJ

I would start with adding this to the end of your D2L URL:

/d2l/login?noRedirect=1

Example: d2l.mycollege.edu/d2l/login?noRedirect=1

• Shawn.Bell7218
    edited November 2022

Thanks @Jason Henslee​ , I did try this with no success though. I am working at a health care facility not a school. Unsure if this changes the approach.

• Jason.H.500
    edited November 2022

Sorry @Shawn Bell​, I don't know then.

If you go here: [Archived Content] https://community.brightspace.com/generic/s/, do you get a live chat window in the bottom-right corner? You might have to ask D2L...

• Iwona.S.533
    Iwona.S.533 Posts: 60
    edited November 2022

@Shawn Bell​ 

I have checked that your organization is having SSO set up. As such with credentials that you set up for a test user in D2L you can access D2L using a special back access.

I have sent you a private message with a link to your D2L login page.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Iwona

• Shawn.Bell7218
    edited November 2022

Thanks to you both, I appreciate the assistance!

This is great @Iwona Szelag​, thank you.