Valence UI... what happened to it?

Options
Samson.C.778
Samson.C.778 Posts: 8 🌱
edited November 2022 in Development

Hi all,

I was just checking on the documentation for the vui as I was telling a colleague about it...

http://ui.valence.d2l.com/

seems to be pointing to a 404 error now.... what happened to it? Did vui moved from bower to something else?

Tagged:

Answers

• Joshua.van.Wijk6262
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hi @Samson Chung​ , are you still encountering that 404 error? The link you shared works for me. I wonder if perhaps there was an issue earlier today that is now resolved.

Is anyone else encountering that 404 error?

• Dave.L.995
    Dave.L.995 Posts: 2
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hi @Samson Chung​, thanks for bringing this up. We’ve been consolidating some of our older documentation and missed adding a redirect for ui.valence.d2l.com — hopefully it’s now correctly redirecting to the Brightspace UI Guide, which is the new home for our Brightspace UI components.

You’ll notice that our UI components have been going through a transition over the last few years. We’ve gone from basic Sass + NPM, to Polymer-based web components published to Bower. As the web component technologies evolve, we’ll be moving with them — most likely to Polymer’s successor, Lit. The Bower project has also been abandoned so we’ll be shifting back to NPM. Front-end development always keeps you on your toes!

The Brightspace UI Guide is what our developers reference internally, so it will be updated accordingly as we go through these changes.

• Samson.C.778
    Samson.C.778 Posts: 8 🌱
    edited November 2022
    Options

@Joshua van Wijk​  What @Dave Lockhart​ said.....

@Dave Lockhart​ , thanks for the update... I would also like to point out there are several cyclical references in the Github pages now. A few of them actually said 'for more information go to ui.valence.d2l.com ... which now redirects back to the main github wiki page.

On a different note, when I was picking out which portion of Valence UI I should be using, I found that old page with all the samples loaded really helpful... think you guys can bring that back? As someone who isn't on the D2L development team but did took advantage of the ValenceUI to build an app, I didn't know what each object is called on the back end and relied on the sample and how it is actually used in the LE to decide.

• Dave.L.995
    Dave.L.995 Posts: 2
    edited November 2022
    Options

Haha yeah, we're aware of the cyclical references. We're planning to do a big docs cleanup on the all the repos shortly.

Our developers would also love some samples to see which components are available and what each one can do. We're hoping to put something together at some point, but unfortunately no ETA yet.