I am going to the Fusion PostCon workshop: "Let's Help You Jump Start Your Data Sets Use!" What...

Options
Renee.J.194
Renee.J.194 Posts: 113
edited November 2022 in Customer Enablement

I am going to the Fusion PostCon workshop: "Let's Help You Jump Start Your Data Sets Use!" What sdk, etc., should I bring to get the best use?

The description says I will be importing data sets into a SQL Server Database. Here are some questions I have:

The datasets will be JSON objects, right? So will I be using some sort of middleware to get them via your API, and to massage them so that they can import to an SQL database? Or

And for SQL server, will one of these options serve me? https://database.guide/how-to-install-sql-server-on-a-mac/

Or would MySQL actually be sufficient?

What do I need to make this day, the workshop and the lab afterwards, a productive one?

Answers

• Megan.Walker116
    Megan.Walker116 Posts: 46
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hi Renee, I'm happy to see you're attending the PostCon workshop. Here are the things you will need to be successful:

• Bring your own laptop or check out how to rent one on the Fusion app.
    • Windows OS or Parallels to enable running Windows
    • If you want to use your own data, you will need permissions to your data sets on your environment.
      • Otherwise, we will have a site with data for your use in the workshop.
    • SQL Server 2016, either the Full or Express edition
    • SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT) 2015 which operates against 2016 databases
    • Download and install a Power BI Desktop trial

If you have any further questions please let me know.

• Renee.J.194
    Renee.J.194 Posts: 113
    edited November 2022
    Options

Thank you so much for the details! Sorry it is not SQL Server 2017, but I can mange. My D2L-branded backpack (from an Illinois "Ignite" session will carry two laptops: the MacBook Pro I live on, and a Windows box my department is configuring for this adventure.

When we do this for real as an organization, we will be retrieving json for consumption by jitterbit and made beautiful by Tableau, not SQL Server and and PowerBI.

I am hoping what I learn at your workshop will help me support our data architects in bringing Brightspace data sets into our data warehouse.