How can I get help with a specific question regarding adding someone to a classlist?

Brian.R.709
Brian.R.709 Posts: 2 🔍
I have a user who has been enrolled in several courses. I can't add them to a new course's classlist because they can't be found. The chatbot isn't able to help. I can't find any related articles. The chatbot keeps telling me that I have to be logged in first to this community before I can contact customer support via chat or email ... but I am already logged in. My industry is non-profit (not listed) and I don't see a related drop-down choice that speaks to this. Any article I look for doesn't speak to this issue.
Call this a cry into space.... but can anyone from Customer Support help me?

Answers

• Hello, Brian!

There's a couple of reasons that a user might not be able to be added to a specific course classlist. It can be a bit tricky to track down, but it's easier if you're an administrator for your organization (or if you have access to that administrator to ask them questions). Here are some recommendations I've found helpful in the past:

1. Users will not be found to be added to a classlist if they're already enrolled in the course. This can be doubly confusing if they're enrolled as a role that doesn't display in the classlist (because how can you confirm it if not visually?). The first place I usually look is in the Administrator Tools (cog at the upper-right corner if you're an admin) > Users. Search for the user and then click the down arrow beside their name, and choose Manage User Enrollments. Using the search field at the top of the page, search for the course in question you want them added to, and see if they display there. If they are enrolled in a hidden role, you can change their role from here, and if not, it should give you a list of any available roles you can enroll them as there.
    2. It is sometimes possible (if you're looking at a new role or if you're trying to enroll them in an organization unit that isn't a course offering) that your role may not be able to enroll that type of user into the type of org unit you're trying to add them in. I'll usually start by going to the Administrator Tools > Roles and Permissions, and then click the down arrow beside the role you want to enroll the user as. Click Edit Permissions and at the top of the page, filter the permissions by the tool Users. About halfway down the list you'll start seeing the matrix show settings for Enroll '(rolename)'. Making sure that your role (administrator or the role of the user who needs to be doing the enrollments) has the ability to enroll them in the org unit type that matches where you want them to be enrolled is enabled.

Those are the two most common scenarios I've run into around this! I hope this information is helpful! If you are not an administrator for your environment, you may want to try and find out who they are and reach out to them for additional assistance.

Best of luck!

• David.H.182
    David.H.182 Posts: 1 🔍
    edited October 15
    Hi Brian,

Usually, if the user exists in the system but can't be found when adding them to a Class list, they are already enrolled on the course. If you can't see them, it may be to do with the role permissions. Some roles don't show up in the Class list.

An admin can check the Users enrolments from the Users page to see what role they have on the course, if they are enrolled.

David