Alt text equals title?

Luke.M.268
Luke.M.268 Posts: 7 🔍

Hi all,

We have noticed that for images the HTML title tag is automatically copied from the alt text field. As far as we can determine, there is no method (other than editing the HTML) to add or change the title of an image. The title is available as a floating tooltip when a user hovers their mouse over the image. Ideally, the alt text and title should be different. However, in Brightspace if there is no alt text for an image there will be no title field.

We have encountered some instructors who have been improving the accessibility of their content, but as an image title field is autopopulated from the alt when the image is added, if the alt text is changed the title field remains unchanged.

Any guidance on this would be greatly appreciated. Ultimately, it is my opinion, the alt field should be for users that need a text alternative to understand the information in an image, but the title field (and floating tooltip) should coney the title of the image.

Thanks,

Luke

Answers

• Johnny.B.962
    Johnny.B.962 Posts: 81

@Luke.M.268, there is a separate location to be able to modify the Alt text versus the Title text for an image. As you are likely already aware, after inserting the image into a text box, selecting the image will give you a button for "Image Options", which has a field labeled Alternative Description. This would be to modify the Alt text.

The option to modify just the Title text is in a different location. Select the image again within the editor, and select the plus "+" icon on the toolbar.

There should be an option that appears for "Attributes", select it.

Here you should see other field options for any HTML element that you have selected. This would work for anything (paragraph, div section, image, iframe, etc.), but will include a Title field. Where you can edit the Title text without having to open the source code.

I hope that helps!

-Johnny
    D2L LAM

• Luke.M.268

Hi Johnny,

Thanks, this is very helpful.

I am wondering if you have any insight as to why the title field is automatically populated by whatever is entered in the alt text field when an image is added?

Thanks

• Johnny.B.962
    Johnny.B.962 Posts: 81

@Luke.M.268,

I know this is a confusing workflow considering the initial field when uploading the image only references the Alt text and not the Title text. I tried to get some internal clarification for you as to why and here's I've got for you. There are accessibility considerations to utilizing both fields. Certain screen reading and browsing tools may favor one field or the other when trying to give information back to the user so populating both promotes consistency regardless of which field is being utilized. Alt text is generally only presented to a user when the image is not, whereas the Title text is presented along with the image. By using both, the user will always have that additional text if needed.

Does that help?

-Johnny
    D2L LAM

• Luke.M.268

Hi Johnny,

Yes, thanks that is helpful.

Luke