Files automatically converting to PDF when uploaded directly from Google Drive - New Content

Brightspace is automatically uploading my Google Docs as .docx files (when uploaded from my Google Drive, as I want them embedded), which doesn't allow my students to make a copy of them to then edit or use (i.e. for test reviews). This wasn't happening until last week.

Brightspace is also now also automatically making my Google Slides (uploaded from Google Drive, as slides to be embedded) as PDFs, which wasn't happening until last week. This means any updates I do to the slides won't show up, and requires me to delete the old version and upload the new version - even though it's the exact same file on my Drive. This extra work I shouldn't have to do and also means that if I want to have a document on Brightspace and have a copy for students to edit, I will have to post the doc and then a separate link, which makes the content bulkier.

If I want a document to be displayed as a PDF, I upload it as such. However, I often want students to make a copy of the document - hence consciously uploading it as a Google Doc, so students can to go "File" and "Make a copy"

I've been using Brightspace for years, and this has never happened.

The above presents a serious problem for me in using Brightspace with my students, especially to edit live together, which we do often. It feels like the platform has taken a few steps back if this is going to be the "norm" going forward, as now I will have to just post links to my Google Drive, instead of the docs themselves, which defeats the purpose of using Brightspace (instead of Google Classroom). If I post links, I also cannot accurately track what students have looked at it and for how much time using the "progress" tool, which is something I've found very helpful.

I would like to know how to fix the above, so I can continue using Brightspace the way I have previously.
Tagged:

Answers

• Andrea.M.553
    Andrea.M.553 Posts: 87

Hi Patricia,

Can you describe the process you are using to add the content from Google Drive? This does not sound like it is working properly. When I add Google Docs or Slides, it does in fact embed like you are desiring (see image below.) Once I understand how you are adding your content, I can better assist you.

Best,

Andrea

• Patricia.G.699
    Patricia.G.699 Posts: 4 🔍

Hi,

I am adding content by going to create new, then selecting my Google Drive, followed by the file that’s in my Google Drive. I am not using Google Drive from desktop.

I am using the Google Drive with my school board, that is integrated into Brightspace. The documents and slides that I am loading were originally Google slides and Google Docs, not PowerPoint or Word documents.

When add the Google slides, it is automatically converting them to a .pptx file, even when it was Slides originally, and they are not editable.

It’s not a new process from how I have uploaded things before.

I have been trying to troubleshoot this with our board bright space person, and she does not know what is going on, as we tried some different things, and she was able to upload from Google Drive without this issue to my course shell.

Thanks.

• Andrea.M.553
    Andrea.M.553 Posts: 87

Hello,

If this was happening to everyone on your Brightspace site, I would say to have your board Brightspace person checkout the configuration variables for Google on your site. Given that it is just your account, I suggest your have your board Brightspace person contact Brightspace support and open a ticket for investigation.

I am sorry I could not have been any more help. This is a very odd case.

Best,

Andrea

• Patricia.G.699
    Patricia.G.699 Posts: 4 🔍

Thank you.