Best way to display course size information to faculty?

Options

Our faculty are looking for a way to easily view how "big" their course is in terms of their course files. I could create an Insights dashboard but it would also be useful to be able to create a widget that could be on every course homepage. Does anyone have any ideas/insights/experience that they are willing to share?

Answers

• Brian.P.603
    Brian.P.603 Posts: 12
    edited December 2023
    Options

Hello Katherine,

I believe if you go to course admin > Manage files > The bottom right of the page will show the total number of files/folders. Are you looking for specific file sizes?

Alternatively, if you want a detailed breakdown of files specifically in content. You can use the "Content Files Properties Log" data set found in Data Hub. It will show you all the details related to the file.

https://community.d2l.com/brightspace/kb/articles/4713-content-data-sets

"In the Content Files Properties Log Brightspace Data Set, each row represents a change (created, edited, or deleted) to a file that is linked to a content object within an org unit. The data set only captures changes to content files from July 2022 onwards."

• Katherine.F.342
    Options

Hi Brian,

We are looking for the total file size in MB/GB rather than just number of files, which unfortunately Manage Files does not show.

I already have written reports in Insights that will sum the sizes of all the files in a course but the tricky part from there is getting that information to faculty. We currently don't give faculty access to Insights and the hope is that we can give them access to this information within the courses themselves.

Thanks for the reply!

-Kate

• Jennifer.W.973
    Jennifer.W.973 Posts: 241 🌟
    Options

I'm looking to do something similar but it doesn't seem possible to get the size of all files stored in Manage Files within each course offering if the Content Files Properties Log data set only includes files that are linked to a Content object. Is there a way to get the list (and size) of files that are saved to Manage Files but NOT linked to Content?

• Rusha.S.831
    Options

Hello @Jennifer.W.973,

It looks like there is a PIE Total Course File Size (D10907) that seems similar to your request. May I suggest you upvote this idea which is currently under review?

Also if would like to get the size of the manage files, may I suggest you open a support case, please?

I hope this helps!

Thank you,

Rusha

• Katherine.F.342
    Options

@Brian.P.603 @Jennifer.W.973 and @Rusha.S.831 that PIE item is actually one that I created and I learned there was a custom widget created for Lansing CC many many years ago and I brought it up to my TAM and he is exploring the possibility of it being deployed.