How do I delete an LTI Advantage tool?

Options
Stephen.Vickers725
Stephen.Vickers725 Posts: 6 🌱
edited November 2022 in Development

I can see a list of LTI Advantage tools on the page at d2l/le/ltiadvantage/registrations/home but I cannot see an option to delete an item from the list, merely to enable/disable it. Is there a special role/permission needed for deletion? I have tried ones like "Delete External Learning Tool Links" but none seems to have had any effect.

Thanks.

Tagged:

Answers

• Thomas.Garrett2398
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hi @Stephen Vickers​ , from the LTI Advantage page do you see an option to Manage Tool Providers? It should be visible above the Enable and Disable options. Are any of the items you are trying to delete listed here? From the Manage Tool Providers page you can open the dropdown menu for any of the listed items and select Delete.

If the items you are trying to remove are not listed here my only recommendation would be to Disable the unwanted LTI Advantage Tools and use the filter to only display Enabled tools. Another option would be to contact D2L Support to inquire into the ability to delete these items.

All the best,

Thomas

• Stephen.Vickers725
    edited November 2022
    Options

Thanks for the reply. I do not see a Manage Tool Providers option on the LTI Advantage tab. All I see above the list is an option to "Register Tool" and options to Enable and Disable tools, with filters below to show all tools or just those which are enabled or disabled.

When I go to the "External Learning Tools" option, I do see a "Manage Tool Providers" tab, but this does not show my LTI 1.3 tool; I suspect it is merely a list of LTI 1.0/1.1/2.0 tools.

Disabling the tool will not be sufficient for my needs as I cannot register a new one with the same domain, even when it is disabled and I'm trying to test the dynamic registration option.

• Thomas.Garrett2398
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hi @Stephen Vickers​ , is it possible to edit the existing tool instead of deleting it and registering a new one? I'm not an expert on this tool but if that isn't a possibility then D2L Support will definitely be the best place to seek additional assistance. Hope you are able to find a solution to this issue.

Thomas

• Stephen.Vickers725
    edited November 2022
    Options

No, that is not possible. The Dynamic Registration process automatically registers the tool, but cannot do so when the domain is already being used. How can an existing LTI 1.3 tool be deleted?

• Stephen.Vickers725
    edited November 2022
    Options

Were you suggesting that I contact D2L support about this? If so, how do I do this? Thanks.

• Stefanie.B.518
    Stefanie.B.518 Posts: 457 admin
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hi @Stephen Vickers​ 

I'm sending you some information on how to reach your school's help desk in a direct message :)

• Stephen.Vickers725
    edited November 2022
    Options

Thanks, but I'm trying to ask D2L support rather than our own support as we cannot find a way to delete existing tools in your system.

Does anyone know how to delete an existing LTI 1.3 tool from the list on the "LTI Advantage" tab of the "Manage Extensibility" page?

Thanks.

• Viktor.H.147
    Viktor.H.147 Posts: 41
    edited November 2022
    Options

As registering and deploying an LTI Tool under 1.3 creates unique identifiers (Client ID, and Deployment ID) that can never be re-used, and making it easy to delete an LTI Tool in the wrong way can make it easy to mess things up, our current LTI Advantage implementation does not permit easily deleting an LTI Tool's Deployment or Registration via the UI.

If you absolutely need to delete an LTI Tool, then you must do things in this order:

• Delete all links bound to that Tool's deployment(s)
    • Delete the Tool's deployment(s)
    • Delete the Tool's registration

You can use the Valence APIs to delete a Tool's deployment and registration, but please consider first merely disabling the Tool in anticipation that it may be used again (or currently is being used in a way you don't anticipate).

Please note that, in some particular circumstances, you will not be able to easily delete all links bound to the deployment (if a Tool has provided LTI Activity Items into a Brightspace quiz, or has created line items in a course's grade book, for example), and you will not be able to proceed to the next deletion step without first successfully completing each step in turn.

• Stephen.Vickers725
    edited November 2022
    Options

Thanks @Viktor Haag​, that's very helpful. Since the tools I plan to delete are just those created as part of testing the Dynamic Registration process they should be unused and simple to delete. I'll investigate how to use your API to do so.

• Julian.M.724
    Julian.M.724 Posts: 2 🔍
    Options
    I know this is an old thread, but wanted to leave a message for anyone running into this. We were able to workaround this issue by changing the name and domain of the existing registration instead of deleting.