Several Questions Regarding the New Content Experience. or Lessons Experience.

Options
Christopher.M.74
Christopher.M.74 Posts: 6 🌱
edited November 2022 in Product News

I am aware the answers to these may be out there but I can't get seem to get anything definitive.

• Which is it? "New Content Experience", or "Lessons Experience". I'm still doing with people conflating "D2L" and "Brightspace" this is confusing. I need to look up both when researching issues and some people think these are two different things.
  • Will it replace the "old" content experience at some point? By which I mean, will the "old" content no longer be an option?
  • Can we change the tab colors?
  • Some content needs to have the title on it, This needs to exist and a course-wide option for uplifting.
  • Editing titles is a huge pain now.
  • "view as student" shows some elements such as "post to course homepage"
  • Is the UI going to improve? I've marked a few issues int he the attached images
  • Cutting off tooltips (in learner view)
  • big chunks of useless whitespace. The system needs to handle situations where there is no description text better.
  • Cutting off titles in the tags. It makes sense to me, but some editing users will not understand why this is happening. You need a warning that a title is "too long".
  • There's some inconsistency around the vertical alignment of tag titles. If a title is 2 lines it's aligned to the top, but if only one line it's aligned to the middle.
  • The Full-screen button appears in SCORM link-out pages but not module description pages. This doesn't make sense.

Answers

• Joseph.W.983
    Joseph.W.983 Posts: 7
    edited November 2022
    Options

I don't have all the answers, but I do have a few.

Lessons experience and the New Content Experience are two different things. Lessons is primarily targetted to the Instructor (but can be enabled for Learners), and the new content experience is only for Learners. All your screenshots seem to be asking about Lessons, so I'll go with the assumption that you're only asking about Lessons. For now, it's opt-in, with no current plans to remove old content. The colours are auto-generated, and cannot be changed. The rest of the issues do exist, and perhaps could be added to the Product Ideas exchange. There currently seem to be a few ideas there, and they could maybe be consolidated. Lessons: New Learner Experience: View Submission (brightidea.com)

• Christopher.M.74
    Christopher.M.74 Posts: 6 🌱
    edited November 2022
    Options

Thank you. Joseph, I'll reach out to the creator of that PIE item and see if they'd like to add in any of my comments.

• Danny.B.46
    Danny.B.46 Posts: 6 🌱
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hi,

@C.J. Morrison​ and @_Joseph _Wong​,

There seems to be a lot of confusion regarding terms and naming. From looking online, it seems that the New Content Experience and Lessons is one and the same (see here). To add confusion, there is also a new learner experience. An overview of the different options can be found here.

At my institution, we have implemented a combination of the new content experience (lessons) and the new learner experience.

When instructors are creating content, they see the new content experience:

New content experience 

When learners view a course they see this:

Homepage:

Learner homepageContent page

Content page 

We opted for the new learner experience, as this provides a fully immersive learning experience that removes things like the nav bar etc and provides a cleaner learning experience.

Hope this helps.

• James.M.999
    James.M.999 Posts: 2 🌱
    edited November 2022
    Options

@C.J. Morrison​  you can change the colours by going into navigation and themes, and then creating a new theme. there is a primary and secondary colour option—changing the primary colour affects the nav bar and the tab/accordian buckets on the left.

• Joseph.W.983
    Joseph.W.983 Posts: 7
    edited November 2022
    Options

@Danny Ball​ that link is perfect! Thank you!