Is it possible to share a card visualization on self-serve analytics (DOMO) to non LMS admins?

Options
Alan.P.39
Alan.P.39 Posts: 11 🧭
edited November 2022 in Customer Enablement

I seem to get an error when I try to type in an email address and share a card. Not sure if I need to invite or add users to DOMO first? They aren't creating cards, I just want them to be able to view the visualizations.

ss-card-viz-invite

Tagged:

Answers

• Michael.C.540
    Michael.C.540 Posts: 5
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hi Alan -- yes.

Start small. But -- when you check the "Can Use Self-Serve Analytics" permission checkbox in the Roles and Permissions --> Insights Tools permission set, ALL users in the role being granted that permission will have SSA "Participant" type-role accounts created in the SSA environment.

Note: ALL users in that Role ... so generally speaking, you only want to grant that access to Roles that have both a job need for access to potential PII-type data, and a job responsibility to protect any PII exposed to them via SSA.

I'm not recalling off the top of my head how long between checking that permission and (new) user synch up -- if memory serves, no more than a couple of hours.

Hope that helps!

-mike

• lindsayrichardson@cunet.carleton.ca
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hi Michael -- I can't seem to find the "Can Use Self-Serve Analytics" permission checkbox in the Roles and Permissions --> Insights Tools permission set. Has this changed since March 2021? If not, can you point me to any documentation sites that might be helpful.

• Jennifer.W.973
    Jennifer.W.973 Posts: 242 🌟
    edited November 2022
    Options

@LINDSAY RICHARDSON​ Self-Serve Analytics was renamed Insights Report Builder last year.

edited November 2022
    Options

Thank you, @Jennifer Wagner​ !

So it seems, then, that I can turn on that permission and be able to "send" reports to anyone with a role that has "Can Use Insights Report Builder" enabled.

Do you know if there is a way to push DOMO cards we build ourselves to the Insights Portal for everyone in our Org?

• Michael.C.540
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hi Lindsay (and sorry - Thanks @Jennifer Wagner​ for catching this inquiry!)

I will re-iterate my advice to Alan: Start small.

Is there a reason why you would want to push data to every user in your organization? I am having a difficult time understanding why that might be a good or useful thing, without understanding your data governance model.

Typically, Business Intelligence (BI) tools are used to reduce the complexity of raw data into actionable analytics -- and, who is expected to take those actions is generally a function of the audience for whom the output (a visualization, a table, a "report") is designed. And questions of whether the audience for whom the output is designed is "entitled" to have access to the data being provided, questions of intelligibility and expectations, the governance question of "what happens to the data once it leaves system X?" -- there's a lot of bells that go off when I hear "everyone" -- because that's a good deal of undifferentiated access.

So -- please, start small? And, then -- if the answer is I need "everyone" to have access to X -- then I imagine there are ways of making that happen.

Best to you and your organization,

-mike

edited November 2022
    Options

Thank you, @Michael Condon​!

I was hoping that the cards build in DOMO could be pushed into Insights and that they would be automatically quick filtered to only show Instructors data to which they should have access (e.g., quick filter for THEIR courses only). This is how the current visualizations work in Insights.

It sounds like this isn't a function, though?? So, our report builders would need to hard filter data visualizations before sending them to individual people, which means this is not self-serve, correct?

One use case is a DOMO card I've created to give instructors access to how each student did on each criteria from a Rubric.

Thanks again,

Lindsay

• Michael.C.540
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hi Lindsay -

Yes -- I think you're getting it -- so much depends on the prior questions, and the work that goes into enabling data access.

Have you looked at the currently available "Rubric Statistics" "report pages" (that *should be available to faculty) for each Rubric with _Associations_ and evaluations within the Course context?

1) Drop down menu next to the Rubric Name in the Rubric tool page:

screen shot of rubric Statistics context menu 2:

screenshot Rubric Statistics main page3: (click the "actions" button) :

screenshot Rubrics Assessment Stats 

There's so much available to faculty in their courses that it can be intimidating and hard to find it all.

edited November 2022
    Options

@Michael Condon​ ,

Yes -- I've seen the Rubric Statistics that are available to faculty within their courses. Unfortunately, this does not provide them a means to export a CSV with each student's score on each of the criteria. This is why I have built the dataset in DOMO.

It's too bad that we can't build visualizations for our organizations and have them function like the ones currently in the Insights Portal.