What are the correct ways to use the manage dates bulk offset tool calculate range between two dates

Options

Can the manage dates bulk offset tool calculate the range between two dates be used to convert dates from a longer class to a shorter class or vice versa?

For example, my institution offers 15-week, 12-week, 7-week, and 3-week classes with the same content. However, when I copied a 15-week course into a new shell, used the manage dates tool, and put the dates of a 12-week course for the range, it didn't work.  Unfortunately, the result had dates outside the beginning and end dates I entered as restrictions.  What are the ways that this tool should be used, and for what purposes?

Answers

• Rusha.S.831
    Rusha.S.831 Posts: 105
    Options

Hello @Shelly.Robinson884,

Thank you for reaching out to us via Brightspace Community!

Have you tried setting the dates the existing content has in the 'From' field and the expected date in the 'To' field, This will ensure the dates are offset by the expected number of days.

I hope this helps!

Kind Regards,

Rusha

• Shelly.R.237
    Shelly.R.237 Posts: 3 🌱
    Options

Rusha,

Yes, that is precisely what I tried, and the dates that end up in the course do not always fall within the dates I specified. That is why I am asking how this tool should be used. From observation and helping faculty at my institution with this tool, we know it is inconsistent and does not always work as we think it should. I have researched this, looked at different institutions' websites, and found no guidance. That is why I posted the question here. Can it only be used when changing dates between classes that are exactly the same length?

Here is a video I made while trying to figure this out. I chose the start date of 5/15, and after I ran the manage dates tool, there were dates in the course in April. So I think all it does is offset the dates and not actually put them between the two dates selected by the user.

• Jennifer.W.973
    Jennifer.W.973 Posts: 235 🌟
    Options

@Shelly.Robinson884 The From and To dates under Calculate range between two dates are not intended to be the start and end dates of one course. It just determines how many days are in between the two dates you input, so you would typically want to put in the start dates of two semesters that are the same length. For semesters that vary in length, you'd need to manually figure out how many days you want to offset and just enter the number under Offset by direction and range.

• Shelly.R.237
    Shelly.R.237 Posts: 3 🌱
    Options

Jennifer, thanks for confirming that the tool will not work for classes with different lengths. I wonder what the "Calculate range between dates" is intended to represent if it is not the start and end dates of the course. Also, what are the ways that this tool should be used, and for what purposes? Can you provide some examples?

Shelly Robinson

• Jennifer.W.973
    Jennifer.W.973 Posts: 235 🌟
    Options

@Shelly.Robinson884 Just think of it as a calculator. It will count up the days between the dates you enter. So if you are working on building your summer course, you would put something like Monday 1/9/23 as the first date for this past spring semester and then Monday 5/15/23 for the upcoming summer semester. Then all the dates you had selected would be pushed forward by 126 days, which is the range that it calculated for you. You wouldn't need to manually count the days on a calendar. Let's say you had a quiz due in your class every Friday in the spring and wanted to do the same for summer. For the first quiz, it would take the due date of 1/13/23 and push it to 5/19/23 (because 1/13 plus 126 days is 5/19), and so on for all the quizzes you selected.

It works best when the semesters are the same length and start on the same day of the week. But you still have to double check some dates since you might not want due dates falling during Thanksgiving break, spring break, etc.