Error/bug with deep linking 1.3 in Brightspace

Options
rscott78
rscott78 Posts: 3 🌱

I'm trying to test our LTI 1.3 integration. It works in other LMS systems, but not Brightspace, so it leads me to believe that there's either a bug in Brightspace, or that there's a setting I'm missing.

When I get through the deep linking process, I get a generic message. Upon checking logs, it shows "Something went wrong while processing deep linking content item" but no further detail. Error ID is 49639615654268072787527300474811764829288079927485136898.0 on the devcop instance.

Where can I go from here to dig in deeper to the problem?

Tagged:

Answers

• Andrea.B.236
    Andrea.B.236 Posts: 179 admin
    Options

Hi @rscott78 ,

Thanks for reaching out to the Brightspace Community! We have documention on LTI Deep Linking in our LTI Developer FAQ. Hopefully this is helpful in troubleshooting the issue.

Additionally, I am reaching out to our LTI experts to see if there is any additional information I can provide.

All the best

• Andrea.B.236
    Options

Hi @rscott78 ,

Returning to this with a bit more information from our LTI experts!

It looks like the error's root cause was a failed validation check on the posted line item's label field. It was either blank, or exceeded a limit of 128 characters.

We hope this solves your issue, however if you have additional questions or need further help please feel welcome to reach out to us again!

• rscott78
    Options

Hi @Andrea Bla691

Thanks for the suggestion. In the previous iteration, it wasn't sending a label property back. As per your suggestion, I added a label, however that didn't seem to help. The error message is the same as before, but it doesn't seem to recognize the newly added label field based on the properties being listed in the error (it does show the title, however).

Any other suggestions? The latest attempt is error # 49639615654268072787527480551121266644384712517817991170.0

• rscott78
    Options

I wonder too… perhaps I'm not creating this in the correct spot within Brightspace? Here's what I've done so far:

1. Manage Extensibility, then registerd a new LTI Advantage tool
    2. Create a new deployment for the tool
    3. Create a new link

My goal is to create an assignment the student can do that would end up being graded and posted back to the gradebook.

Right now, the only place I can seem to find my tool/deployment/link is by clicking on "Content" then "Add Existing" then finding it listed under "more."

• Andrea.B.236
    Options

Hi @rscott78 ,

Thanks so much for reaching out again and keeping us up-to-date on this issue you're facing!

I've reached out to our LTI experts again and they've suggested that the failure is occurring while validating Custom Parameters within the deep linking claims. It looks like this validation can fail if a custom parameter is:

• Missing a key
    • Missing a value
    • Is a duplicate of another custom parameter

We hope this is more helpful! Again, please feel welcome to keep reaching out!

• Hari.S.747
    Hari.S.747 Posts: 1 🌱
    edited June 2023
    Options

Hello! Related to the above, I'm looking for the documentation on LTI Deep Linking, but the link above (https://community.d2l.com/brightspace/kb/articles/5428-lti-advantage-developer-faq#deep-linking) no longer seems to work. Does anyone know where the docs are now?

• Andrea.B.236
    Options

Hi @Hari.S.747 ,

Thank you for reaching out to us!

Does this link to LTI Developer FAQ work for you?

• Penghai.Z.480
    Penghai.Z.480 Posts: 6 🌱
    Options
    > @Andrea.B.236 said:
    > Hi @rscott78 ,
    > Thanks so much for reaching out again and keeping us up-to-date on this issue you're facing!
    > I've reached out to our LTI experts again and they've suggested that the failure is occurring while validating Custom Parameters within the deep linking claims. It looks like this validation can fail if a custom parameter is:
    > Missing a key
    > Missing a value
    > Is a duplicate of another custom parameter
    > We hope this is more helpful! Again, please feel welcome to keep reaching out!

Do you mean the custom parameters of Deep linking response ??

I am not sure whether the response needs this claim. In the LTI 1.3 spec, the example does not.

Or does this claim become mandatory in Brightspace ?