Arithmetic Question - using sine with angle in degrees

Options
mkindle
mkindle Posts: 3 πŸ”

I want to ask my students to calculate the sine of an angle I give them in degrees. I programmed Brightspace to calculate sin({th}*pi/180) where {th} is the angle in degrees and {th}*pi/180 is converting it to radians for the calculation. However, I get back 0.00 as the answer. I cannot figure out what I have done wrong.

Machele

Answers

• Julie.L.787
    Julie.L.787 Posts: 291 admin
    Options

Hi @mkindle ,

Thanks for reaching out to the Brightspace Community with your question. In this case, we recommend creating a support case so that our experts can have a closer look at your use case to help troubleshoot the issue.

If you would like support to do so, please let us know and we are happy to assistπŸ™‚

• mkindle
    Options

I ended up copying and pasting from another question with the same formula in it that seemed to be working. There was no difference in formula, so I don't know why one worked and one didn't. I'm not sure if there's a support ticket to be had in a situation like that.

• Aasim.Y.704
    Aasim.Y.704 Posts: 129 ⏸️ Inactive
    Options

Hey @mkindle,

Thanks for sharing more about the resolution found when exploring the formula from another discussion thread. Could I request that you share a link out to the resource you were able to find the formula from?

Appreciate your contribution in the Community and learning from your explorations!

• mkindle
    Options

I created the formula myself: sin(({th}*pi)/180) where {th} is the angle in degrees.