ADDIE? Within instructional designing, the acronym ADDIE is one of the favourites for many! I...

Options
Rabia.Ijaz1787
Rabia.Ijaz1787 Posts: 14
edited November 2022 in Social Groups

ADDIE?

Within instructional designing, the acronym ADDIE is one of the favourites for many! I would say it’s a fancy way to say use your critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Before driving into how is that relevant for any educator, let’s learn about what the acronym means:

Analyze – understanding the needs, constraints and current situation for content. To answer the question: What is in it for the learner? I would think of this stage to answer the 6 Ws (Who, What, Where, When, How and Why).

Design – creating objectives and developing strategies to achieve the objectives, leading to a prototype for presenting your ideas.

Development – content is produced based on the design phase decisions followed by reviewing the quality of the deliverable.

Implement – content/course is presented to the learner, and its impact is monitored.

Evaluate – assess the changes and whether the content achieved the goals. Thus, deciding if future iterations should be created or not.

As an educator, you are constantly using ADDIE when designing your lessons for any class—starting with reviewing the curriculum expectations to see what goals need to be achieved by the particular lesson and then planning it out, finding resources or creating resources for the lesson. As an educator, the Implementation and evaluation components are often not formally done; instead, it’s based on your judgements and observation within the classroom setting. Such as were the learners engaged? Did everyone understand the lesson, or was there a lot of confusion while teaching? After addressing all these questions, you decide whether to use the lesson again for future classes or not.  

Similarly, as ID, we use the same process to piece together the learning experience for the learners!

Have you heard of the ADDIE before? If not, do you see yourself using it any time soon?