How do I copy content between classes? (Details below...)

Options
ISRAEL.HARRIOTT508
ISRAEL.HARRIOTT508 Posts: 2 🌱
edited November 2022 in Customer Enablement

I have two academic history classes. I do not want to combine them into one shell. However, how can I copy a single lesson from one class to the other? I don't want to recreate the same lesson in the other class. I've tried using the import/copy feature but it only allows me the option to copy the entire class content.

To be clear, I don't just want to copy a file, but a lesson that has instructions and links that to connect and resources.

Does anyone know how to work around this?

Answers

• Iwona.S.533
    Iwona.S.533 Posts: 56
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hi @ISRAEL HARRIOTT​ 

From Import/Export/Copy Components tool you can select Copy All Components (this is the default option in blue) or Select components. If you chose "Select Components" you can then browser for Content and individual items to copy.

Please review the following article for more details: [Archived Content] https://community.brightspace.com/s/article/000009451

Regards,

Iwona

• Olly.Fayers3120
    Olly.Fayers3120 Posts: 18 🌱
    edited November 2022
    Options

Unless I'm mistaken, the Import/Export/Copy tool means that you can choose more or less exactly what you want to copy across from one course to another.

I have made the following advice for staff at my institution for copying any content between two different course offerings. I've tried to edit out the changes in terminology that are specific to our institution, so hopefully this still makes sense:

To begin with, you'll want to have the 'course offering code' of the original course(s) to hand. This is how to find it:

1. In the Brightspace module, select ‘Course Admin’ from the navbar
    2. Select ‘Course Offering Information’
    3. Copy ‘Course Offering Code’.

Once you've got those, you'll be ready to start copying things across. Here's how to do this:

1. Once you're in the new course offering, choose 'Course Admin' from the navbar.
    2. In control panel, choose the 'Import/Export/Copy Components' tool.
    3. Keep the top option selected (Copy Components from another Org Unit) and click the button for 'Search for Offering'.
    4. In the popup window, paste the Course Offering Code of the course that you want to copy from and press the magnifying glass (or press enter).
    5. Select the right course from the resulting list, then select the 'Add Selected' button.
    6. Back in the original window, choose whether you want to 'Copy All Components' or if you'd like to 'Select Components'.
    • If you choose to copy all components, it will immediately begin importing all of the old material. It will take a minute or so to do that and then you will be able to view it.
      • If you choose to select individual components, you will see each Content tool in Brightspace as a checkbox. Ticking the box means that you can then choose whether to copy all of the things in that tool, or again to individually select which material you'd like to copy across. Keep the 'Include associated files' box checked to copy across things like images that were uploaded and linked to within the content. Clicking 'continue' will then enable you to choose or confirm exactly which things you want copied. When you're ready, select the 'Finish' button. It will take a minute or so to copy across the content and you can then view it.

• ISRAEL.HARRIOTT508
    ISRAEL.HARRIOTT508 Posts: 2 🌱
    edited November 2022
    Options

Thanks so much! I wasn't using the proper offering code. ​

• Dorothee.Bouquet495
    Dorothee.Bouquet495 Posts: 1 🌱
    edited November 2022
    Options

What if you want to copy one module from one course into another? How do you do that?

• Iwona.S.533
    Iwona.S.533 Posts: 56
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hi @Dorothee Bouquet​ 

You can select individual items to copy and check only the module/content topic you need.

Regards,

Iwona