BDS: What is the difference between Org Unit Ancestors and Org Unit Parents?

Options
Renee.J.194
Renee.J.194 Posts: 113
edited November 2022 in Customer Enablement

I do see that Org Unit Parents has an additional column, for "Row Version". What is row version? I do not find its definition.

Answers

• Joel.McNee2699
    Joel.McNee2699 Posts: 2
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hi Renee. I can look into this for you. thanks Joel.

• Kara.Schimmelfing6598
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hi Renee,

Org Unit Parents is the direct relationship one step up in the hierarchy, Org Unit Ancestors would be one row for each org unit above this org unit in the hierarchy (parents, grandparents, great-grandparents etc. - to borrow from the family terminology).

The row version is a way of indicating which row is newest - you would use it with differentials primarily. If you are looking at two rows that have the same primary key in a given file (indicating there has been more then one update in that time period), the newest one has a larger Row Version.

Hope that helps!

-- Kara

• Joel.McNee2699
    Joel.McNee2699 Posts: 2
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hello again Renee, Kara got the the goods first... thanks Kara!

Here is more detail:

============

Resource: 

[Archived Content] https://community.brightspace.com/s/article/Brightspace-Core-Analytics-Administrator-Guide

Page: 97

Brightspace Data Set: Org Unit Ancestors

About

Returns a list of all the org units and the corresponding ancestors for an org unit. An ancestor is defined as a parent of an org unit.

Data Set Availability

This data set is available as:

·       Full CSV, produced on a weekly basis, containing all of the data.

·       Differential CSV, produced on a daily basis or hourly basis as a paid add-on, containing the differences (diffs) of the data that was updated or inserted since the last successful differential which is typically the previous day or hour, respectively.

Page:100

Brightspace Data Set: Organizational Unit Parents

About

Returns the direct parent of each org unit in order to build out the initial org unit structure.

Data Set Availability

This data set is available as:

·       Full CSV, produced on a weekly basis, containing all of the data.

·       Differential CSV, produced on a daily basis or hourly basis as a paid add-on, containing the differences (diffs) of the data that was updated or inserted since the last successful differential which is typically the previous day or hour, respectively.

• Renee.J.194
    Renee.J.194 Posts: 113
    edited November 2022
    Options

Thanks for the quick responses, @Kara Schimmelfing​  and @Joel McNee​ .

As follow up:

1. A course offering usually has both a course template and a semester as (what I would consider) a "direct ancestor". Would both show in the Parents dataset?
    2. If I understand it, the Department to which the course template belongs would not show in Parents, but it would show up in Ancestors?
    3. Would the College (custom org unit) which is a parent of the Department, which is the parent of the course offering, also be expected to show in Ancestors as an ancestor of the course offering?